Painted Quest Drum - Roast Instructions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Great video! It will save me time on replies on how to do it now. Going forward, I'll just direct people to your video.

One other thing thats rather helpful with the Quest, before you install the drum, take note of exactly where the heating elements are in relation to the faceplate. There's one looped bar for each element, so basically, two parallel bars per side. If you carefully take note of where they are and place a corresponding mark on the faceplate, it will help you with understanding and adjusting the thermal dynamics of the roaster a little bit (that is, only if you're using relatively rigid thermocouples like Eric's). Reason being, you'll see a lot of variation in BT and relative ET measurements, based precisely on where you angle your probes. On an unloaded, preheating Quest, you'll often see higher BT readings relative to your ET, due to thermocouple placement. Knowing and being able to exactly visualize where those elements are, will help you with subtle probe tweaking for better and more accurate temps.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Italyhound »

Excellent video!

kwantfm

#13: Post by kwantfm »

Nice job... I also use ramekins :D
LMWDP #602

pShoe (original poster)

#14: Post by pShoe (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Great video! It will save me time on replies on how to do it now. Going forward, I'll just direct people to your video.
Thanks for the tips, especially the newspaper. It made the tape nice and ridged.
TomC wrote:...you'll see a lot of variation in BT and relative ET measurements, based precisely on where you angle your probes. On an unloaded, preheating Quest, you'll often see higher BT readings relative to your ET, due to thermocouple placement.
Are you speaking of the quest's thermal dynamics in general, or something that will change now that the drum is painted? I always have a higher MET reading relative to my BT when preheating. I've been using Eric's provided probes and placement. Probe placement does have a big impact. I used the "alternate" BT location and it is a noticeable difference from the standard location, which I use now. Even than, BT was always lower than MET for preheating. I preheat with 7.5-8 and a fan of around 5.

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

I wasn't referring to MET, just ET and BT. If you just stick Erics BT probe inside and tighten it in place, you'll note that it is located very very close to the drum wall, right next to where your elements are. The BT is slightly more immune to the effect of the heating elements when there's a bed of beans covering it. But I also tweak my BT probe for optimal placement in my standard load.

By bending Eric's BT inward, I get a more accurate ET without as much influence of the element or more importantly, drum wall.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pShoe (original poster)

#16: Post by pShoe (original poster) »

That makes more sense now. I got into the habit of automatically assuming people referring to ET, while also mentioning Eric's probes were talking about his MET placement. My mistake.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by FotonDrv »

Italyhound wrote:Excellent video!
+1!!

The paint works...
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

jamoke

#18: Post by jamoke »

My, you work fast!
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122