Microcimbali shutdown and other tips.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Greetings -

Have started exploring the Microcimbali while waiting for the final piece to come in. As it is recommended to empty it via the water tap each time, wondering if it is better to do it while hot, and if there is a possibility to cause damage when doing so. What I have been doing is shutting power off to both elements, flushing the group while there is still pressure, then draining the boiler from the water tap while there is still a little residual pressure. The element is still a bit hot at this point, but with power shut off is there still a chance of damage to the element? The thinking here is that the heat will help dry out the boiler. I do leave the filler cap off and both taps open. As the water tap is in the element base, which seems to be stainless, there should be little concern over what little water remains there. Also, any problem with adding water to the boiler while hot?

Did 3 pulls today, each one improving on the last. At first the pucks were a mess, but the last one wasn't too bad and the coffee was passible. Even had some crema. The factory tamp seems a bit loose in the basket, but I have no idea if it is OEM or not. The boiler cap was from a Cremina, so the basket could not be stock as well. I'm getting quite a bit of grounds pushing up the sides of the basket, as if it was too large for the shower.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits