Replacing Pharos 2 adjustment nuts - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#31: Post by spressomon »

mathof wrote:I wonder if anyone can make a first-hand comparison with the Voodoodaddy setting device, where all you do is turn the dial and there's no need whatever to fuss with a set-screw.
I was unaware the Voodoodaddy mod didn't include/require a turn of a set-screw for the grind adjustment.
No Espresso = Depresso

WSH

#32: Post by WSH »

FWIW: I set the tension in my VoodooDaddy modded collar/pointer set screw tight enough to hold the setting but loose enough I can change it without having to loosen the set screw every time.

Advertisement
bmb

#33: Post by bmb replying to WSH »

That's exactly what I did with the two nuts of the stock Pharos, works like a charm !!

Ol Grumpy

#34: Post by Ol Grumpy »

mathof wrote:I wonder if anyone can make a first-hand comparison with the Voodoodaddy setting device, where all you do is turn the dial and there's no need whatever to fuss with a set-screw.
I have the full list of VD Mods on my Pharos. I am constantly changing and adjusting the grind setting to suit different beans and extraction methods and indeed the same bean requires tweaking to bring out it's best...
The VD pointer/adjustment ring is incredibly simple and elegant in it's use and operation. There are no tools required, to adjust the grind setting, whatsoever. The grind handle is locked in place with a lock nut and is not touched unless you want to vary the handle length- I have the (VD) extended handle that offers three different settings and I haven't needed to change the handle, yet. The grind adjustment itself is a single collar and indexing pointer that is simply turned to the required grind setting. I agree it is 'best practice' to have the grind handle 'indexed' against the accessory bar (placed vertically in the holes in the Pharos body rings) for more accurate and repeatable indexing and fine adjustment. Whilst this (grind adjustment) indexing collar has three 'friction setting grub screws' that allow the ring to turn, but hold it 'in place' once the setting is made. These 3 friction set screws are 'set and forget'. They do not need to be adjusted except for inevitable wear of the friction pads. I must say though that in now a couple of months of daily grind adjustments for perhaps 5-10 shots a day, I have never needed to adjust them from their original setting. The fact this VD adjustment method is simple, reliable and repeatable and 'no tools required' makes it the 'ultimate' method, from my experience. As always, YMMV.

BTW. I specifically asked that my grinder was sent with the OE cap on the main shaft. (Above handle) But I also asked Will to send the large stainless ball top handle/cap... 'just in case'. I had no idea what I would use the large stainless ball top handle for, until I had the Pharos in my hands and used it. I immediately changed to the top ball handle and apart from the catcher cup mod, is my favorite mod. That ball is indespensible to me in the grinders use. I use it to lift and carry, it is fantastic for 'clacking' the burr- both in clearing the grinds and as a secondary 'visual and tactile check measure' of your grind setting. Yes, I know you can grab the grind handle for these purposes- but consider the unnecessary leverage forces you are imposing on the grinder. At the end of each shot ground- I grab the ball and spin quickly back and forth whilst clacking the burr. It is the most convenient and simple way the remove grind retentions. I was pleasantly surprised to find this (stainless steel ball) handle so useful in such a functional way. Like I said, it quickly became a favorite mod.