What do you think of these grinders?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
andpgud

#1: Post by andpgud »

I have the option to get those cheap
What do you think?
La cimbali

Eureka

Do you know anything about those two?

doubleOsoul

#2: Post by doubleOsoul »

What are you using for your espresso machine? (Helps narrow down the answer).

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

tag says francis francis.

Either will be fine. Theyre both commercial units.
LMWDP #366

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Buy the Cimbali...it's a very nice light commercial 64mm flat burr grinder with a good doser. The other looks like a Eureka MDM, which is the absolute bottom rung of NS's commercial grinders, 60mm flat burrs, slow, with a plastic-y doser. You can check to see if maybe it's the conical version of the MDM...I think there was such a thing at one point...but I would still prefer the Cimbali.

Note: I've owned a Eureka MDM and a Cimbali JR (and a Cimbali Max)
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

russel wrote:You can check to see if maybe it's the conical version of the MDM...I think there was such a thing at one point...

Unless it was one of the few low end commercial grinders to use the trespede conicals, wouldnt it be a better buy if it is?
LMWDP #366

russel

#6: Post by russel »

I don't really think so...the build of an MDM is too light for my tastes. It's sort of the opposite of a Mazzer...instead of being surprised at how much more heavy it is than it looks, I was surprised at how light it was. The doser is just plastic everywhere with a flimsy action. The Cimbali Jr on the other hand is very solid with a sharp action and a cleaner sweep. Both use a dial to adjust the grind, although the MDM has a fixed upper burr, which makes cleaning a lot easier. Don't get me wrong, a cheap MDM in good condition is still a better value than one of those overpriced mid range consumer grinders...but I don't think it can compete with a Cimbali Jr. I find the Jr to be a reasonable alternative to an SJ. The MDM is not.

I can't find any info on the existence of a conical MDM, so I may just have an incorrect recollection.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com