The Great Deal that Got Away! (To You?) - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
pacificmanitou

#11: Post by pacificmanitou »

I also passed on a conti two group lever for $300 that was sold by someone who didnt know how to ensure it worked, but thought it may need seals based on the prior owner's remarks. I think they dealt in commercial food service equipment, but not coffee, and wanted it gone. With freight it would have been $500, but I had just bought a lusso and couldnt take that cost, and the lack of assurance it would actually work made me nervous.
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

The cost of the machine isn't just purchase price but all the work you'll need to put into it and spare parts availability. With one of these old levers where they can't power it up you can assume you'll need to completely tear it down and rebuild. Then it's a matter of what it's worth if you would want to sell it. Let's say that was a Conti lever with the Prestina group, which they still make. Parts are available, but what are people paying for those? Alternatively, what if it's a Faema Marte? You may need to have a machinist make replacement parts. But what's it worth? And who will buy it? If it's a single group many collectors may want it. If it's two groups it's probably too big for most peoples' homes. I would find a way to fit a Marte in the garage if need be, but anyway... as OE says with their closeout specials, "have a plan, we don't want it back"!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pacificmanitou

#13: Post by pacificmanitou »

That was my main reason for passing. The only real place I could put it in my apartment is the kitchen table, and theres no 220 with enough wattage I could get to (all mine is on transformers). While it would give me an excuse to start a coffee business, I didnt have the resources, and a year later I still dont.
LMWDP #366

UltramaticOrange

#14: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Professional Coffee House espresso Maker taken from a Coffee Beanery. The unit retails around $400 Asking $115
After a little digging, it appeard to be a Nuevo Simonelli Mac 2000 1 group; HX machine on 110v. No idea the quality of this particular machine, but at $115, I can't claim I especially cared.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

So, an almost mint condition Cimbali Casa DT1 showed up here locally on Craigslist, the only problem with it, somehow the plumb in line had a slight leak. Seller had many shots from multiple angles. It looked babied. Owned it new since 2010, no commercial use, etc. Even looked like it had the dual boiler gauge window, so maybe even programmed pre-infusion. He was upgrading. Asking price....$750.

I sat and thought about it for 3 days. Usually things that are high quality/value get snapped up pretty quickly around here. I had meant to call when at work and see if he still had it available. I got busy till the end of the day, around 6pm, when I called and he told me someone just left with it 10 minutes ago.

:cry:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

beer&mathematics

#16: Post by beer&mathematics »

TomC wrote: :cry:
Oh Tom, I know I'm new but I think I've read enough to know you don't get to frowny face us mortals! :shock:
LMWDP #431