Starting and Switching Off Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
imagiam

#1: Post by imagiam »

I received my Rancilio Silvia yesterday. Would anyone know how to turn it off appropriately after use? I have searched all available material and can't seem to locate clear instructions. Do I need to empty the water from the tank each time? Or can I just quick flush the group, wipe and switch off the power (leaving the water in the tank)? And then, so when I restart the machine, do I immediately turn on the pump and open the steam wand until water comes out (while the machine is cold and just starting to warm up), or do I perform that task after heating the machine before I am ready to make the shot? Thanks for any help! :D

tburres

#2: Post by tburres »

I am fairly new to espresso myself and have had a Silvia for almost two years. For startup, I have a timer so it is warmed up when I get to it in the morning. Search on "cheating miss silvia" to find some good info on startup. I don't empty the tank except for cleaning weekly, otherwise I fill as part of each use so I don't run it empty. I do mostly milk drinks, so after I pull the shot, I turn on the the steam switch and do a quick flush then let it heat up for steaming. That way, when I am done making the drink, I am cleaned up and ready to enjoy. I don't leave it on all day so I shut down and get to work.

Advertisement
Mochamaker

#3: Post by Mochamaker »

I have had a Silvia for 10 years. As soon as I turn it on, I run water through the brew head just to make sure the boiler is full. If I am going to steam milk, I let the boiler heat up, then run water through the steam wand to make sure it is ready... as far as turing off the machine, once I am done pulling shots or steaming milk, I will run water through the brew head and steam wand, just to make sure the boiler is full, and turn it off. I probably do not need to run water through the brew head when I turn it on at first, but I do just to be sure. Good luck and I think you will really enjoy your Silvia. She is finicky, but she will never let you down.

genovese

#4: Post by genovese »

Most of these procedures are optional, at least where their timing is concerned. The one thing that you must NOT fail to do is to maintain an adequate water level in the boiler if there is any chance that the heating element will have power, or you risk a meltdown and a $100+ parts bill, last time I checked. Typically, after you have steamed milk for a double or triple capp (6 to 9 oz), the level remains minimally safe as long as you don't draw off any more steam. I made it my habit to always refill right after steaming; that way, you don't have to remember later, and you always have a full boiler when you want to brew or steam again. As I recall, the Rancilio user manual (circa 2003 anyway) was practically negligent in not making it clear that refilling is critical to protecting the element.

NeedBeans

#5: Post by NeedBeans »

I'm another long time Silvia owner (10+ years). I don't empty the water tank except when I clean it (~every couple of weeks).

FYI - My Silvia start-up and shut-down procedures are as follows.

Start-up:
  • - Hold steaming pitcher under hot water/steam wand
    - Open valve for hot water/steam
    - Activate switch for hot water
    - Activate switch for main power
    [Silvia turns on and immediately begins to pump water]
    - Pump ~10 ounces out to freshen water in boiler (and ensure it's full)
    - Turn off hot water switch
    - Close valve for hot water/steam
    - Top off water reservoir
    - Let machine warm up (I do minimum of 30 minutes, usually closer to 45)
Shut-down:
  • [After every shot I rinse the grouphead, and brush the grouphead gasket and showerhead screen]
    - Activate brew switch to run water through group (just to ensure boiler is full; when the stream is steady, which is usually immediately, I shut off the brew switch)
    - Turn off main power on Silvia
    - Remove portafilter and thoroughly rinse it and the basket in sink
    - Refit portafilter into machine and engage somewhat loosely
I mostly do straight espressos and occasionally a cappuccino (usually for visitors) and so if you are mostly interested in milk-based drinks I may not be the best person, but for cappuccinos this is what I do:
  • - Weigh the beans to get to desired dose
    - Steam milk first (I think this is where most people differ)
    - When done steaming, turn off the steaming switch and immediately clean the wand with a "wettish" wash cloth until there is no residue
    - Hold another (empty) steaming pitcher under hot water/steam wand
    - Open valve for hot water/steam
    - Activate switch for hot water and pump enough water out until the steam is replaced by an almost steady flow of water (this rapidly brings the boiler water temp down and ensures the boiler is refilled)
    - Grind/tamp/flush the group and then brew the espresso
    - Add the steamed milk
Good luck and enjoy your machine.
-Paul
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde