Quick Mill Andreja Premium Brew Pressure Gauge

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
defdes

#1: Post by defdes »

I read a bit about this issue on another post, but I didn't get how to deal with the problem.
My pressure gauge has stopped working, it tached out (automotive reference) way past red-line (16 bar) and the needle is stuck there.
Coffee has been not as it should for a long time, no crema, and it takes a while to get a full shot. Pressure I think is the culprit.
Is there a way to disassemble these gauges and get the needle unstuck? I have it off the machine and sitting on my desk. I got the guts free from the housing via a set screw on the back, but the lens and housing seem to be a press fit.
I have the brass piping soaking in vinegar right now, could a slightly blocked tube cause the pressure to rise to such a degree?
Any help and wisdom would be appreciated.

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

Sounds like too much pressure and I'd want to fix that before putting the gauge back. Perhaps a stuck OPV.

defdes (original poster)

#3: Post by defdes (original poster) »

Thanks. I was able to tap the housing apart thereby releasing the guts of the gauge, but in doing so the needle fell off and it can be put back on in any orientation. It still has spring tension in it, though that doesn't really do me any good given the fact that the needle is not dial indicated.
What is the OPV and how would one un-stick it?
*EDIT: Just googled it, I will disassemble and try to lubricate, though if it has been faulty for as long as I have been having sub-par coffee chances are it will need replacement or at least a rebuild.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Certainly agree with Jon that you should rebuild your OPV prior to any operation - Chris' Coffee has all the parts you could need.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

defdes (original poster)

#5: Post by defdes (original poster) »

So, this may be the one thing that I haven't replaced in the 8 years I have had the machine (OPV), and what a mess inside it was. The O ring was barely there, the bore was heavily pitted as was the plunger piece on the end of the spring. I cleaned it up the best I could and reassembled. After dialing back the pressure a bit, I was getting crema, not as it once was but better. This morning, I got one good shot and then nothing. I thought the something was wrong with the OPV but then I noticed that the tank had run out of water. Strange, no alarm happened (a first). I refilled the water, allowed it to cycle and tried to draw another shot. Nothing. I pulled the portafilter and nearly no water was coming out. I pushed the handle down to stop the water flow, and the pump kept running. WTF. I turned off the machine, let it sit a few, turned it back on and the pump had shut off but I am still not able to draw a shot. I am about ready to pack and ship it off to Chris' Coffee but I really don't want to. Does the above sound like it is just the OPV or something else in conjunction?

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

. . . but I am still not able to draw a shot.
When you lift the lever, does the pump run? If so, you may need to fill the pump's suction line with a turkey baster or the equivalent. This should NOT be necessary whenever you run the reservoir dry but it certainly has been known to happen.

Given your description of the existing OPV, I would simply order a replacement along with some other normal maintenance items . . . dispersion screen, grouphead gasket, etc., etc. BUT, I would get satisfactory flow through the grouphead first . . . about 450-500 ml/minute.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

defdes (original poster)

#7: Post by defdes (original poster) »

Yes, the pump does go on when the lever is lifted. I will try with the new OPV unit first, then see where I am at. Thanks for the help.