New Orleans Coffee - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
rawman

#11: Post by rawman »

I was 'proud to call New Orleans home' for many years. I love that city, but when I lived there coffee was dark roasted, mixed with chicory and came from Community or Cafe Du Monde. The Third Wave had not hit yet. I'll be sure to check some in this list when I go back home.

As for the food... Sigh... What can I say. Nothing like it anywhere else. Any diets I may be on cease as soon as I get out of the airport and take in that first breath of humid air. My favorite Po Boy place is Mother's on Poydras and Tchoupitoulas. Other favorites: Delmonico's, Brennen's, Acme Oyster House, R and O's in Metairie (although I have heard it went downhill recently), Deanie's Seafood in Metairie (not sure how they are lately either), Copeland's (it is a chain but a local New Orleans chain and I love them), and the absolute best? Commander's Palace. Mmm
LMWDP #189

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary (original poster) »

It's starting to look like we need an H-B get-together in NOLA with the coffee search being our version of a snipe hunt. We found the street with all the serious jazz clubs shortly before we left. That alone requires a return to reconnoiter. We've tried Commander's twice in the past and agree that it's up there with the three best places on my list. Word has it the top restaurant in town right now is Stella! on Chartres Street. That place was two blocks from our hotel but we were booked already for our waddle through Creole and Cajun cuisine. We would have to try the places you mentioned of course but I would have to lose another 20 lbs before daring to step out of the Louis Armstrong airport.

BTW our favorite street musician was still there and going strong. Doreen Ketchens plays the best tenor saxophone I've heard anywhere, anytime. Here is her URL and the welcome site of her wowing the tourists on Bourbon Street. What you don't see in this photo is the group of listeners circled around in front of her.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

heavyduty

#13: Post by heavyduty »

drgary wrote: I didn't go in for much gumbo in order to avoid all the fat in the roux.
[insert commercial here]

Try Kary's Dry Roux from Ville Platte, La. FAT FREE! NO CHOLESTEROL!! NO SODIUM!!!

Of course all bets are off when you add the Andouille sausage! :wink:
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary (original poster) »

You shouldn't a done that. :mrgreen: I just might have to improvise with a stovetop smoker and see if I can corrupt some traditional recipes.

Now how do we bring this thread back to New Orleans coffee? Oh yeah, the snipe hunt!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#15: Post by mivanitsky »

Gary,

Thanks for this thread. I find myself in New Orleans again for the AAOS Meeting. Last time I was here, 3 or 4 years ago, the only place I could fine was the place in the Quarter with the Gelato. The espresso was awful, but the people were very nice and tried hard to please. They had a PBTC and a Swift. I talked to the owner and he said he was having trouble finding skilled Baristas. I'm glad to see that they survived and have improved. I will seek espresso in the next few days, as I have time.

I'm not starved for good coffee here, as I have 3 roasts of Ethiopian Konga, and borrowed Pat's modded Lido for the week, for use with CCD.

I could not drink the Cafe au Lait at Cafe du Monde. I went to the one in Metairie, however. I too had a hard time resisting seconds on Beignets!

Mike