Pitcher vs. Latte Art. Style of Pitcher Can HELP?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BigBlaze

#1: Post by BigBlaze »

I have a small Toroid pitcher.
I have to say, latte art is not easy. It is not about the micro foam, it is more the pouring technique that need improvement!

Does the pitcher has a effect on latte art?
Different style of pitcher have different spout, I guess this can make in difference.

At the WBC, what kind of pitcher are they using?

Thank you,

BigBlaze

IntrepidQ3

#2: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I am rather new at this, but I have experimented with two different style pitchers and have noticed a huge difference in ability to do latte art. Mind you that I do not pour the best art, but its still exciting to some design happening rather than just an accumulate blob of white foam. It is important to be able to get microfoam though, you will get a blob of white foam without microfoam no matter the style of pitcher you have.

The first pitch I used I had just laying around the house. Not sure when we got it, but it was before my interest sparked with espresso. Not sure the brand name but it looked rather similar to this krups:

It has the wide lip, but with a very small spout. This did not work well for me at all. After looking around I found that this style is not suggested for art pouring.

I than ordered a RattleWare 12oz pitcher:

This has a more defined spout and provides a more concentrated pour. This has made all the difference for me. If what I found from a google search on the pitcher you have, it seems to me that you have a good style pitcher. Again, I am new at this so take what I say with a grain assault. This is just what I have noticed from my experience in the past month.

I am not sure how new you are at going after microfoam and art pouring. I have been at it for a little less than a month. So, I am going to suggest watching the HB 'Newbie Introduction to Espresso, Latte Art', that is if you have not already. I found this helpful. Its focuses more on steaming and pouring technique. It does not going into pitcher styles though.

Here is the link:
Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Latte Art [video]

I hope this is some what helpful and not ramblings of a newbie! :lol:
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

Beezer

#3: Post by Beezer »

That Rattleware pitcher is what I use, and it works great. The Toroid is supposed to be good too. The most important thing is to have the proper spout to control the pour, and to use the right size pitcher. I use the 12 ounce size, since I usually make 5 or 6 ounce cappuccinos. If you're making bigger drinks, you should use a bigger pitcher.

The best video I've ever seen for making latte art is this one from Verve:
Lock and load!

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

Pitchers definitely have an impact, but most of the pour is skill, and a consummate professional can use nearly any pitcher. One with a good spout will make life easier though.
LMWDP #366

LaDan

#5: Post by LaDan »

I'd recommend the Motta pitcher. It has an excellent shape spout.

Look here:

Motta Pitcher? What size?

The "Machine".

And look at a lot of Youtube WBC videos, and most of them are using that pitcher.