Roasting Problems???

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bktranduchuy

#1: Post by bktranduchuy »

Hi,

I've just made a new coffee Roaster (1 lb) ( stainless steel drum) using the heat source from the Burner

First roast on Thursday and i roast about 200 grams, they're nice color, nice smell ( City Roast). After cooling the beans, i packed it immediately and wait for about 2-3 days for the beans to rest.

Today (Sunday) i'm going to test but i smell nothing when i open the pack ( like they didn't release gas - coffee degas ) and of course it's tasted not good.

My roast profile : 17 mins to City Roast
- Slow Roast 9 mins to the Tan Stage ( 350 oF)
- Fasten to 1st crack ( 4 mins )
- Decrease 70% the heat source from 1st crack to the end of the roast ( i want to stretch the time ).

So are there any problems with my beans or my roast profiles?

Thank you,

Huy

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

I am an amateur to home roasting too, so welcome to the club. :wink: 17 mins to City Roast sounds too long even for a drum roaster, and most would say the flavors are 'baked' out of the coffee.

For starting, I would try to aim for first crack at about 9 minutes, finish at about 11-14 minute depending on whether it's for brewed coffee or espresso.

Another thing, what are the beans that you're using? Starting with good quality green coffee bean is the single most critical prerequisite for good end result.

p/s: any chance for some pic on your DIY drum roaster? :P

bktranduchuy (original poster)

#3: Post by bktranduchuy (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply Sam.

I'm new to this so i make the demo roaster based on The Huky and The Quest M3. I'll share my pics when i get home.

sversimo

#4: Post by sversimo »

Smell can be deceiving, perhaps your container has been leaking or your nose is defect. I find that the smell of the beans varies a lot with time as well. I would focus more on the taste of your coffee.

I agree with whats posted above, try and shorten your roast time. Keep an eye on the temperature rise, so that you dont bake the coffee.

I dont know you particular setup, but airflow is extremely important in a drum roaster. Higher airflow gives a more responsive machine and even roasted coffee, in my case.

#5: Post by bktranduchuy (original poster) »

Really thank you for your reply.

But the second problem is i didn't see my coffee release anything after roasting (degas). Are there any problems with them?

sversimo

#6: Post by sversimo »

I would be more worried if you could actually see it.

Do you know anything about your coffee beans? Perhaps its sh**ty quality.

#7: Post by bktranduchuy (original poster) »

I'll roast the different beans to compare.

My beans - they are from the new crop so i think maybe they are not ready for roasting.