Can you ID my steam wand?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bamaster

#1: Post by bamaster »

I received my new Rocket R58 yesterday and I'm just now getting to play with it. I thought it came with a no-burn steam arm. After steaming some milk today, I noticed the wand is pretty darn hot. This can't be a no-burn. It even came with those little black plastic wand-clips. Same with my hot water wand. Here's a pic.

Is this a different wand?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Unscrew the tip and look for the white teflon tube. A picture alone won't be very helpful.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bamaster (original poster)

#3: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

Didn't even think about that. Take a look.

Looks to be a red tube. It's my first time with a wand like this. I was expecting it to be warm, but not this warm! Hehe

Meanwhile, I swapped out the tip from the 2-hole 1.5mm to the 1.2mm. The machine also came with a 4-hole 0.9mm tip. Might try that next.

Thanks for your help!

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Most "no-burn" wands have a narrower internal tube, which is why yours is hotter than what you'd think in a "no-burn" wand. I'd imagine Rocket was looking to eliminate some of the spitting that is commonly found with other versions, due to the trapped water and condensation that occurs. Both of which can be eliminated by just purging the wand well before use. The Rocket likely has better steaming power than other "no-burn" wands because of this.

I've found that they're more of a hinderance than a benefit. I quickly converted from "no-burn" to standard after realizing how much more powerful and "dry" my steam appeared after getting rid of the nylon inner tubing It just slides out and is reversible if you choose. Once I set the angle of the wand, there's no reason to touch it until I'm done steaming. And at that point, I'm using a damp towel to clean things anyway, so I'm not getting burned.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends »

That's a mighty pretty machine. FWIW I agree with Tom although nobody could have convinced me until I tried it myself. I mean the choice, as I saw it was: do you want a wand that burns you or one that doesn't. Easy, I thought, I'll take the one that doesn't. After a while though, I switched over from the no burn wand, which I operated with a 2 hole tip, to the burn me wand which I operate with the 4 hole. On my Mini Vivaldi, I prefer the latter set-up with the small Motta pitcher.

dsblv

#6: Post by dsblv »

No-burn steam wands still get hot. Just not as hot as standard steam wands. The steam wand should run cooler with the two hole tip. I had previously tried a 4-hole tip on my Evoluzione and noticed the steam wand was much hotter. Obviously, the faster the steam flows, the hotter the wand gets.

Rocket must have recently added the clips. I haven't seen that in previous shipments. They are probably just complying with consumer regulations.