Overheating steam boiler on La Spaziale Vivaldi II

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
StigTheViking

#1: Post by StigTheViking »

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my LaSpaziale S1 Vivaldi II espresso machine. I've been searching high and low for other with the same issue, but I can't seem to find anything. So I'm hope some of you might know what's gone wrong.

The issue happens when I first turn on the machine in the morning and then problem appears to be with the steam boiler. So, I turn on the machine and take the dog for a walk, when I come back that usually means the machine is warm and ready for the first shot. However the past three days, when I come back, the steam boiler is still going (i.e. the boiler light is blinking), steam is pouring out the pressure relief valve of the boiler and the pressure gauge is bouncing in the red zone.
I then put a pitcher under the hot water tap, and run out hot water until the pressure is in the green again. Then the boiler starts reheating (due to all the cold water it has just gotten in) and when the pressure reaches the end of the green zone, the boiler switches off just as it should and I can do lattes and cappuccinos all day long.
But the next morning, the problem is back.

Does anybody have a suggestion for what could be wrong ? what could be worth trying ?

Thanks ...

CSME9

#2: Post by CSME9 »

The steam boiler water level probe could be scaled, fairly easy to loosen, remove & clean. Also the fill solenoid could also be scaled or have a small bit of debris that won't let if seal shut. Either case both are fairly easy to repair.

Also the boiler vacuum breaker valve could need replacement, it has a seal that gets junked up and wont let the valve seal properly. You can remove it and soak the valve in vinegar or citric acid to remove any scale, and it might work again. If not there about $12 to replace.

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

If that doesn't work, then it's a failed triac.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

StigTheViking (original poster)

#4: Post by StigTheViking (original poster) »

Update:
So it's the weekend and I don't need to walk the dog while the machine is heating. So I patiently sat down and watched it heat up, to spot where and what goes wrong. This time however, the machine decided to heat up without problems, just as it did before.
After my morning latte, I turned it off and let it cool down. Opened it up and checked the different valves on top of the steam boiler. All seemed smooth, nice and loose, nothing appeared to be stuck anywhere. The only thing I noticed was the little metal pipe-tube-thing (has a 90 degree bend) that comes out towards the back of the top part of the boiler and then has a wire attached to it, here it looked like the wire had been trying to come away. So I moved it to a bit better position.
Afterwards I turned on the machine again and it once again heated up just fine.

I let it rest for the night and this morning : still heating up just fine ... so we'll see monday morning, maybe it is just being nice to my during the weekends, who knows :-)