Quickmill Alexia OPV leaking

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
skittles_s

#1: Post by skittles_s »

I just sent this inquiry to CCS but thought I would ask here as well. I just noticed this small leak at the OPV of my three year old Alexia. It appears to be weeping from the metal portion circled and not from where the hose itself is clamped to the valve.

Does anyone have ideas on what the cause (and solution) might be? Unfortunately, I'm not terribly handy but will try a straightforward fix before looking for a service center.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

The leak is in the threads of the OPV adjusting mechanism. Hopefully that adjuster has an o-ring designed to prevent any leak into the threaded area.

Undress the machine and lay it on its side (use bath towels as a cushion) such that the OPV is on top and remove the adjustment mechanism. Replace the o-ring after inspecting the OPV bore for any scale buildup. Lubricate the o-ring with silicone grease.

Chris' Coffee will have all the parts you need.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Art C

#3: Post by Art C »

Leakage between the valve body and the central adjusting screw is almost certainly caused by a degraded seal in the area of the internal O-ring. You should remove the pressure adjusting screw (unscrew the shaft at the top of the valve which is circled in your photo until it can be pulled straight out). You will then easily see the O-ring encircling the shaft, and you can inspect the O-ring and the metal sealing surfaces for wear, flattening, cuts, scale, etc. Be sure to look into the bore of the valve as well, using a mirror, to see if there is any scale or scratches where the O-ring seals. If the O-ring is worn, a local hydraulic shop should have a replacement. Be sure to use silicone grease when reassembling.

If you find significant scale, you may want to remove it (citric acid, etc.) as well as perform a full descale on the machine (I know, Quick Mill doesn't like descaling, but it can be unavoidable if you have buildup).

Lay the Alexia on its side with the valve facing up to avoid emptying water from the boiler.

FWIW, the use of a nylon cable tie to hold the exhaust hose in place is questionable -- it creates a pinch point which can pull the hose away from the barb and possibly result in slight leakage.

Art C

skittles_s (original poster)

#4: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Thank you for the helpful replies! I heard back from CCS with the suggestion that the o-ring is exposed and that tightening the adjustment (and thus raising the pressure) might be all that's required. Right now, the machine measures 9 bars with a blind basket. I am pretty sure this leak was not occurring at 9.5 bars. I will give raising the pressure a shot over the weekend. If that doesn't work, at least this seems like a straightforward fix.

skittles_s (original poster)

#5: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Just to follow-up, removing, cleaning, and re-installing the OPV adjusting mechanism and spring has stopped the leak and provided a better range of pressure adjustment. Thanks for the replies.