Looking for smooth and non-bitter espresso beans

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kam1996

#1: Post by kam1996 »

Hello all,

I asked this question a few years ago and thanks to many responses I have been enjoying Zoka Espresso Paladino, counter culture toscano etc.

I would like to try some more smooth/sweet espresso beans and am wondering if some new brands have hit the market since.

Please respond if you have a suggestion.

Thank you

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

I'm a big fan of George Howell's Daterra espressos.

http://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/cof ... resso.html

There are 3 versions, north italian, south italian, and calabria. I like them all.

Unlike most of George's SO espressos, which tend to be brighter and more "in your face", the daterra's skew a little closer to traditional "comfort food" shots.

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

There is no such thing as 'non-bitter' espresso beans. The balance of bitterness and sweetness is basically the reason why we obsess.
LMWDP #670

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by njtnjt »

Nate42 wrote:I'm a big fan of George Howell's Daterra espressos.
http://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/cof ... resso.html
There are 3 versions, north italian, south italian, and calabria. I like them all.
Unlike most of George's SO espressos, which tend to be brighter and more "in your face", the daterra's skew a little closer to traditional "comfort food" shots.
Can you give us a quick taste description of those 3 bean? Is the description on the GH website accurate?
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

Nate42

#5: Post by Nate42 replying to njtnjt »

I don't claim to have an ultra refined palate, but I'll do my best. I'd say I agree with the web site descriptions, although the north italian one gets awfully specific (I don't claim to know what "refined butter marzipan" tastes like for example). In the case of all 3 I would say chocolate is the dominant flavor character, followed by fruit. Even the darkest of the bunch (the calabria) has minimal roastiness, no carbony bitterness to be found. The darker roasts have a darker, less sweet, chocolate character.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by njtnjt »

Thank you Nate. I am really looking forward to trying all of GH's "comfort style" beans.

I am also a big fan of Counter Culture's Toscano.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414