Silvia V1 wand or Latte Art wand for Gaggia Classic? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
wills2310

#21: Post by wills2310 »

Hi All,

I must be doing something wrong. I too purchased the Silvia V1 wand to replace the stock panarello on my Gaggia Classic because I was tired of scooping all the frothy bubbles off the top of my milk before pouring.

From what I have read most people are able to produce good quality microfoam very easily with the Silvia wand but all I seem to be getting is hot milk. I could chalk it up to beginner user error, but I've watched tutorial after tutorial on how to produce microfoam, practiced with water, etc. I think I am doing everything right. but with zero results. I've noticed two things since the replacement, 1. I dont get the correct sounds I should get regardless of where I place the wand in the pitcher, and 2. no matter how long I froth I get a dry (burnt milk maybe?) crust on the end of the wand immediately to the pint where I need to scrub to get the dried milk off. Maybe the wand is getting too hot? I am using a thremometer and typically remove the pitcher once the milk hits 120 to 130 degrees.

A quick side note, I just installed the Silvia wand without any extra parts. I've read people not needing the extra o-rings for the modification, but maybe I do.

Anyway I am looking for any guidance you all can provide on the matter. I am considering just putting the old panarello back on and living with the extreme froth. Just curious if I messed up the mod or if anyone else has had the same struggles/experience as me.