Blonding too early with Rancilio Silvia + Mazzer Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bandoleir

#1: Post by bandoleir »

Hi Guys, I was hoping I could get some help from you with a problem I've been having since I bought my Silvia.

First of all let me describe my set up. I have a Rancilio Silvia I bought 2 years ago and a Mazzer Mini E. I think I also need to clarify that I live in Argentina; The Silvia is 110v and we have 220v here, I use the machine with a 2000w power converter. Lastly I've installed a PID to the machine and set it up to 204°.
The coffees I'm currently using is Kona extra fancy and Jamaica Blue Mountain (home roasted with WestBend The poppery 1500w, City ++)

Now, about the issue. For every double shot I pull I get blonding 15 seconds into the brewing. I know it's not the grind since I end up achieving around 2 oz in 25-30 secs. I guess it could not be the tamping since I use an Espro calibrated tamper (convex). I also make sure that the coffee is evenly distributed before tamping; I think we can rule that out too. Regarding the dosage I've weighted the coffee and I tried everything between 13 to 20 grams.

My guess (uneducated) is that this might be related to a power issue. Maybe using the power converter screws up the pump pressure or something like that. Maybe this is something that can be adjusted...

I would really appreciate your insight; I know that if i cannot find the solution here there isn't one!

PD: just let me know if you need more information or pictures/videos of the shots, I'll make sure to upload them asap.

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

I also make sure that the coffee is evenly distributed before tamping
You can only rule this out with a bottomless portafilter and posting a video. Likely a distribution problem. Silvia's are finicky with this- it's much subtler than people think.
LMWDP #353

Mouldy

#3: Post by Mouldy »

I don't know if it would affect the extraction, but one thing to consider is that although you are using a step-down transformer to convert the 220V supply to 110V for the machine, is that the frequency is not altered. Your supply (I believe) in Argentina is 50Hz, whereas the 110V Silvia would have a pump / motor configured for 60Hz, so even with the transformer you will be supplying 110V at 50Hz, so the motor and pump will be running a bit slower (and therefore have a lower flow rate). As I say, I don't know if this would be sufficient to reduce system pressure and extraction.

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

Your OPV is set correctly? You might try a lower temperature (at the coffee) or a different coffee.

Burner0000

#5: Post by Burner0000 »

I really don't think it's the machine. If anything a slower pump would give you a darker shot. I'd try to adjust grind & tamp or temp. If your running the PID at 204 according to the PID your actually setting it to around 190'F which is way too low. There's about a 10'F difference from what the PID says to what's in the boiler.

Lastly your are drinking some fancy coffee! :) I miss the JBM. I however found that the poppers were giving me grassy under roasted coffee. If your always gonna drink JBM and HK I'd look into modding our popper or a better roaster to really enjoy those beans. When I jumped from popper to Behmor it was night and day with the JBM.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

kajer

#6: Post by kajer »

I have a friend in Switzerland that is having the same problem. Silvia + a decent grinder. His problem? Triple basket from some no name OEM. He and I got the same bottomless portafilter / triple basket, and have horrible luck with that OEM basket. When he was in the U.S. I switched back to my double basket and had AMAZING results. Instantly, I went from 2 second pours to choking the machine without changing the grind.

He got back to Switzerland, and tried the same thing, except no matter how fine he grinds, he blonds way way too early. I asked what beans he was using.... the pack of four barrel that I took over there in August. :shock:

tl:dr; - age of the beans