Sightglass backlight modification (Olympia Maximatic/Pasquini Livietta) [video]

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
UltramaticOrange

#1: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I don't like a lot of light in the morning, but I got tired of trying to see my boiler's water level.

I've two LEDs connected in parallel connected by a 2 prong female plug which is mounted with a zip tie. This is the bottom one. I've another pointing down at the top of the sight glass. 100 Ohm resister in place for current limiting (only 75 ohms is needed, but 100 is what I had on hand).

Spare 5v phone charger that's been sitting in my desk collecting dust. Heat-shrink and solder.

Final result after making sure all the wiring will tolerate the heat.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Clever! It definitely tweaks the general appearance. New age meets classic design. I found the same challenge rebuilding my Cremina, so I added a white background paint behind the thin blue line that was already there, now at a glance, it's much, much easier to see my water level at any angle.

I'll be interested in seeing how this holds up. It's too bad it couldn't be wired in off the main cord.Oh, I think I misread it? You're only needing one power supply to the whole unit? Very cool!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
dialydose

#3: Post by dialydose »

I like it! I saw a similar modification (in terms of illiminating the tank) with one of those little floating LED lights. Didn't look nearly as nice though.

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I did this on my lusso, but it was battery powered. Once the batteries died I never got around to re-installing it. I miss the visibility.
LMWDP #366

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

Sweet hotrod mod, Alastair. It works great and looks cool.

UltramaticOrange (original poster)

#6: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

TomC wrote:I'll be interested in seeing how this holds up
It's been over a month and no issues to report yet. I'll be taking off the case in a day or two to address an unrelated issue. I'll report back if I discover something hasn't held up to the heat/stresses.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?