How fast does coffee lose flavor after grinding?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
badmajon

#1: Post by badmajon »

I know ideally you grind right before making the coffee, but in your experience, how long can you actually wait before the quality of shot declines?

Would 15-20 minutes be too long to wait?

TheSunInsideYou

#2: Post by TheSunInsideYou replying to badmajon »

There's been a lot of talk recently--especially with companies like GnB supporting pregrinding for espresso--about the effects of allowing coffee to sit after being ground. In my experience, I have noticed a significant decline in the quality of a shot if I allow the Robur to go unused for more than 10-15 minutes without a purge. It is particularly important with regards to espresso.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

atao
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by atao »

Rao's new book says resting ground coffee for 30-60 min is roughly equiv to resting the beans for a few days. Which implies that resting ground coffee for > 15 min shouldn't be such a bad thing.

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

My rule of thumb is if it's sitting there for an hour I shouldn't have ground it.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

badmajon (original poster)

#5: Post by badmajon (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. The reason why I ask is b/c I only have 30 minutes in the morning for coffee, and I probably spend more time making the 4 coffees for my wife and I than I do drinking them. I figured that I would just weigh my beans, grind them, and then split them evenly over 4 double portafilter baskets. They would be ready to go, almost k-cup style.

At some point my skill/speed might increase to where I could do them all on the fly but I'm not there yet!

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Exactly what Kyle and Charles are doing at their two L.A. shops. Up with sommeliers, down with artisans
Marshall
Los Angeles

LaDan

#7: Post by LaDan »

badmajon wrote:Thanks for the replies. The reason why I ask is b/c I only have 30 minutes in the morning for coffee, and I probably spend more time making the 4 coffees for my wife and I than I do drinking them. I figured that I would just weigh my beans, grind them, and then split them evenly over 4 double portafilter. .....
If you have a doser you could do that easily.