What really is a cappuccino? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mathof

#11: Post by mathof »

Joco wrote:So why don't shops just offer small and large lattes and forget about calling them cappuccinos?!?!

The last time I was at Prufrock Coffee in London's Leather Lane (a highly-rated third-wave shop), this was in fact how they were offering their espresso/milk drinks. You just chose a cup-size, which was co-ordinated with a stated amount of milk (no macchiatos, lattes or cappuccinos). I think there were three choices. [I ordered a single espresso w/out milk.]

Joco (original poster)

#12: Post by Joco (original poster) »

LaDan wrote:Would you prefer it if they would pour the microfoam into the cup up to about 3/4" from the top, and then just scoop some dry white foam with a spoon to lay on the top 3/4"???
That would make more sense to me. It would at least keep with the proper definition. However personally I like their version better.

Joco (original poster)

#13: Post by Joco (original poster) »

mathof wrote:The last time I was at Prufrock Coffee in London's Leather Lane (a highly-rated third-wave shop), this was in fact how they were offering their espresso/milk drinks. You just chose a cup-size, which was co-ordinated with a stated amount of milk (no macchiatos, lattes or cappuccinos). I think there were three choices. [I ordered a single espresso w/out milk.]

Now that seems to make sense.

damonbowe

#14: Post by damonbowe »

sonnyhad wrote:Nobody does a lungo for a cap? but how bout a double? 16-18 grams of coffee beans?
The extra espresso volume to get 2 oz. comes from the double shot, not stretching a single to 2 ounces. Maybe that's not how it was originally intended, I don't know. But using this volume you can still do the 1/3's of espresso/steamed milk/froth.

Regarding capp milk, I think it's slightly cooler on average:
capp = 140-150, 4-7 oz total volume
latte = 145-155, 10-12 oz total volume

I heard about one shop that just gave up on the names of drinks and started offering espresso with different quantities of milk added. (e.g. espresso; +1 oz milk; + 5 oz milk; + 10 oz milk, etc.) I thought the owner was named Wilhelm Davies but I can't find a photo on google image search. Seemed like a good idea to me and is along the same lines as what you guys are talking about at Prufrock Coffee.

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by GVDub »

While admittedly not the most experienced barista when it comes to milk drinks (I almost exclusively drink straight shots, with occasional breve lattes on the weekend), I've never been able to get that kind of stiff foam for the more traditional "dry" capp at cooler temperatures. Is there a trick getting stiffer foam with smaller bubbles at 140°?
damonbowe wrote: Regarding capp milk, I think it's slightly cooler on average:
capp = 140-150, 4-7 oz total volume
latte = 145-155, 10-12 oz total volume
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

GVDub wrote:While admittedly not the most experienced barista when it comes to milk drinks (I almost exclusively drink straight shots, with occasional breve lattes on the weekend), I've never been able to get that kind of stiff foam for the more traditional "dry" capp at cooler temperatures. Is there a trick getting stiffer foam with smaller bubbles at 140°?
The trick is to stretch the milk farther in the early stages of frothing. You can do this either by holding the wand just slightly higher in the milk, or by stretching a bit longer before plunging the wand.
LMWDP #435

salvatore

#17: Post by salvatore »

damonbowe wrote:I thought the owner was named Wilhelm Davies but I can't find a photo on google image search. Seemed like a good idea to me and is along the same lines as what you guys are talking about at Prufrock Coffee.
You mean Gwilym Davies??
"L'unico modo per liberarsi da una tentazione è cedervi." Oscar Wilde