Thermosyphon stall or something else? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

I hope you make out OK but note that the gicleur, itself, has NOTHING to do with grouphead temperatures at idle. It comes into play only when there is water flow.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

draino (original poster)

#12: Post by draino (original poster) »

I understand. The tech at Chris Coffee thought that a temp of 106 F was probably a badly scaled heat exhanger and that doing a direct descale followed by a more conventional descale would solve the problem. I think it did in as much as the group temp is now up to 200 F.

My comment about the Gicleur was more about me not noticing the scale there in the first place. I observed that many of the threads here suggest looking at the mushroom as an indicator of scale. Since I saw very little, I assumed that scale was unlikely the problem.

Now, though, having descaled the machine, I may have done something to the inlet flow solenoid. I noticed that while flushing the descale solution from the boiler, that the group temp stopped rising. I flipped the lever to flush the brewgroup and all hell broke loose. The boiler pressure spiked rapidly over 2.5 atm and tripped the pressure relief release(?) and also the GFI. The boiler then started overflowing from the pressure relief valve. This would continue unless i shut off the inlet flow.

I then emptied the machine and checked the inlet flow solenoid and valve....no debris. Started up the machine again and it filled. Then proceeded to overflow again while heating and building pressure. I shut down and drained again.

This time I restarted and turned off the water supply when the boiler was done filling. As long as the water was off the boiler pressure never went above 1.2 atm, which is where I have the pressurestat set. If I turned on the water supply the pressure would climb above 1.5 atm without the heater being on.

Everything off for the night until I can call tech support again. Looks like drip for the morning cup.

Dave