Baratza Vario optimal espresso calibration

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mfogliet

#1: Post by mfogliet »

My Vario is calibrated according to the factory directions: begin to hear motor loading at finest setting on the macro slider and midway on the micro slider.

The "Vario Second Look" thread mentions a Kyle Anderson tweak for best espresso performance. It's not referenced anywhere else on the forum that I can find. Are people finding the tweak gives better results in the cup?

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

You just want the micro setting near the middle for standard espresso. If it's near an edge, you may need an extra click and have to use the macro slider = not optimal.
LMWDP #353

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Baratza's troubleshooting section has instructions and video for common adjustments.

The Second Look was posted long before these instructions/videos existed, so you may find similar instructions posted by Kyle et al in the forums but they're superseded by the instructions above.
Dan Kehn

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

I set mine up using a 3 oz shot glass and a digital stop watch 8)

I measure 18 grams of ground beans and adjust the grind setting until I can pull a 2.25 oz shot between 18 and 20 seconds. Once I get dialed into that point I don't touch the grinder again until I get different beans/roast then I have to do it all over again.

each group of beans/roast requires that I "tweak" the setting to get back to my preferred pull window.

I never worry what setting the grinder is at as long as I get the end result I am after.

Right now My Vario-W is set at 3-J (for an 18.45 second 2.25 oz pull). Who knows what I will need to change it to when I get different beans in it.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee