Need Advice with Pulling Red Bird Espresso - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#31: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Nurk2 wrote:Didn't know I liked it that much until I did it right.
Exactly! I have tried to explain it to others they didn't seem to understand. Oh well, maybe one day I'll be able to pull a decent consistent shot and one day get them hooked, as their reference of what a shot tastes like is starbucks (be that what you will) or a shot from a super-auto (this is what originally got my attention focused on espresso).

I experimented with my last bag of Red Bird till it was dialed in. Than I noticed how the taste changed as the days pasted. At first I did not notice much, but once a full week past I could taste huge difference from a week prior. I prefer the taste of it after it rests for about a week. I am going to try it again with my next bag, which arrived today!

Let me know what you think about it resting a week.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

Nurk2

#32: Post by Nurk2 replying to IntrepidQ3 »

First, it's definitely getting easier to pull a good shot. The 2-day old beans were way way blonde and foamy. I pulled the last shot of the unfrozen stuff that went right into the jar when the order arrived. It was smooth and tasty. Last night, I opened the jar I froze when the shipment first arrived. The flavor changed again - I will need to adjust a little to get to where I was at the end of the first jar.

But yeah, short answer, although the flavor profile is remaining essentially the same - it's a fairly tame, but pleasant taste - the sour and bitter is requiring constant adjustment. I'm enjoying it, and will buy it again once I get through some more espressos that I want to try. I think Black Cat is up next!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

#33: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Nurk2 wrote:First, it's definitely getting easier to pull a good shot. The 2-day old beans were way way blonde and foamy. I pulled the last shot of the unfrozen stuff that went right into the jar when the order arrived. It was smooth and tasty.
Glad to hear this and to know that it was not just my own imagination.
Nurk2 wrote:I'm enjoying it, and will buy it again once I get through some more espressos that I want to try. I think Black Cat is up next!
After the bag I just received I am going to do some bean exploring. Its hard to decide where to go next. So much coffee so little time, but I was thinking Peoples Daily form Social Coffee. I have read that is forgiving and the description sounds pretty good. I am about to finish a bag of Vita from Vivace. It is different to pull than the red bird, it also seems to tasting better with some rest. I still prefer the red bird though.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by njtnjt »

You might want to try Counter Culture's Toscano.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

#35: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) replying to njtnjt »

I have read a lot about CC Toscano. I will most likely do that or Black Cat. I just looked at shipping cost for me from Social Coffee, just realized they are located in Ontario.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by njtnjt »

Toscano is one of my favorites. It is very forgiving of technique so it's pretty easy to get a great shot with it.

Enjoy the journey:)
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

#37: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) replying to njtnjt »

When the time comes I will give Toscano a try.

P.S.

The journey is delicious. I have been debating on taking the plunge into home roasting. More the reason to drink more coffee and taste test.