What else do I need to compile sufficient data?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Purista

#1: Post by Purista »

I currently have the following:
- Toastess TCP-713
- CDN digital quick-read thermometer
- wooden spoon used to stir throughout entire roast

The thermometer sticks through a hole in the side that I drilled through the housing and chamber. Gets pretty difficult to hold, but I will be replacing it soon.

About to order:
- PC fan
- Amprobe TMD-56 *or* [this CDN probe thermometer](CDN DTP482 Programmable Probe Thermometer/Timer
http://amzn.com/B00046YFHE)

I need to work on getting my roast times longer than four minutes or a City+ roast, and to do so I will be adding a PC fan to the bottom of my Toastess, which will be sitting on a wire cake cooling rack, under which will be a baking dish full of ice. In the window next to the popper is a fan blowing out. Works well right now without the PC fan and ice, but need to lengthen out those times.

I currently track with a spreadsheet where I record ambient temp, yellow stage, 1st crack start, 1st crack end, and removal from popper. The trouble with this is that I use one hand to stir the coffee and the other to hold the popper. My wife is then using one hand to record the time and one to record the temperature. I would like to be able to do more cleanly than that. The added bonus of being able to run software would be nice too.

- What benefits does Artisan provide over tracking my roast on a spreadsheet? I understand that graphs help immensely; I'm just not sure how?

- Also, if anyone could offer further ideas for lengthening my roast times, that would be great.
David + Mae
Purista Coffee Co.