Home roast swap?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jammin

#1: Post by jammin »

Anyone interested in swapping some home roast?

I always enjoying sharing and would love to try yours.

How many folks would be interested in sending out a batch or 2 of home roast in return for someone else's efforts?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I think something like this is of a great deal of value, because it removes personal bias. If I'm cupping my roast against someone else's, how am I not going to be bias? I'd have to go thru several tricks in order to hide my roast from the other, and hope they were roasted to the same visible degree, else I could tell just visually which was which. We can be as critical as we want, but it still wont remove our bias.

Suffice it to say, it's part of what we're trying to launch with the "roast and learn" thread and it's something I hope that gathers steam. I want my roasts to be given a critical eye, because knowing that someone else is going to be evaluating my coffee will force me to work harder on the profiling and ensure that I really send out something that I think is the best that the coffee is capable of. There'd be little value of sending out a once off attempt at a coffee, even if it was decent, it might be a fluke.

Either way, whether you want to jump in on the communal roasting analysis or not, there'll be a sign up list there ( shortly) where folks can pick out a few members to send their coffees off to for analysis. Someone like Boldjava (Dave) who goes thru various coffees at a meteoric speed is going to have an insightful eye as to what my coffee reveals.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jammin (original poster)

#3: Post by jammin (original poster) »

^meh. I would rather do something a little more casual.

If anyone wants to just have a little fun and trade roasts, let me know.

jammin (original poster)

#4: Post by jammin (original poster) »

Shout out to Evan for sending some nice home roast my way. The Bolivian he sent was terrific and I am enjoying it thoroughly. The exchange on feedback was great as well and the best part so far.

Aaron - looking forward to receiving your coffee soon and sending feedback. I hope the beans I sent you are making some tasty cups.

If anyone else wants to trade a roast or two, hop on in; the water's fine.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I'd be happy to jump in and throw my roasts to the mercy of another's critical examination. I don't know why I forgot about this thread already existing, I made another one the other day. I think this could be pretty easy to do for most serious members, it's only about $6 to get it done. If anyone here is up for it, PM me an address and I'll fire off some roasts.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Italyhound »

I found the first swap very helpful too. Jammin and I agreed in advance it would not be a biased love fest, but a completely low key way to learn, politely judge and become better roasters by sharing.

I would suggest people include detailed roast information where possible - times/temps/benchmarks/curves. It helps both participants (even if the machines/temps are apples to oranges). I cupped and brewed the roasts, and had a lot of fun in the process.

I don't roast many naturals, and Jammin does, so it will be particularly helpful for me to send him some in the future. I think problem roasts are great beans to send for the feedback.

GregR

#7: Post by GregR »

Anybody up for an espresso roast swap I'd be real happy to do that. How are you guys packaging and shipping the beans? I'll have to invest in some packaging material because all I have/use is mason jars.