Robot Baristas article - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marshall

#11: Post by Marshall »

aerojrp wrote:It was serviced after no more than every 2 days, so it was always in tip top condition.
Not easy to find a superauto in the U.S. that is adjusted every 2 days. "Set it and forget it" tends to be the norm. The only really good superauto espresso I ever had was from a La Cimbali in the Pasquini showroom.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Pipeguy (original poster)

#12: Post by Pipeguy (original poster) »

One thing that jumped out at me was the Illy quote:
"With a pre-dose capsule, it's always the right grind," says Mark Romano, a senior director at Illy coffee, which makes its own line of capsule coffee systems. "And with a self-contained extraction chamber, you can consistently get to 80-90 [out of a quality scale of 100]."
My perception is that in HB world, and certainly based on my own expectations producing a coffee that would score 90 out of a 100 of the coffee's potential is an abject failure. Doesn't mean I wouldn't drink it, but I wouldn't be happy with it either.

Years ago outlaw biker clubs starting wearing patches that said "1%" in response to a supposed claim by the American Motorcycle Association that 99% of all motorcyclists were law abiding citizens. Anyone up for 10% patches for HB Members?

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

Capsules should produce a perfect or near perfect shot ... if the machine were up to snuff on temperature and pressure, and the capsules could preserve freshness.

How likely is this? I was approached by a design firm creating a new capsule system. I told them if they wanted something even marginally better than what is available now, they'd need to set strict specs on machines certified for the system, and sell the capsules as a frozen food.

I never heard back.
Jim Schulman

farmroast

#14: Post by farmroast »

another_jim wrote:.... and sell the capsules as a frozen food
I've wondered the same thing due to our air tight freezing tests. Though I can see where this would open up the real understanding of freshness of a roast that has been so well suppressed by big coffee in general.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Eastsideloco

#15: Post by Eastsideloco »

The New Yorker on "Better Brewing Though Technology":

http://nyr.kr/17PZXvU

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by njtnjt »

Anything that people do that can be considered an art form will never be replaced with a machine. There are too many variables - and the unknown variable of what a human being can do when inspired to create.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414