Thinking about Olympia Cremina purchase - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

pacificmanitou wrote: Asking if anyone knows if a cremina is good at steaming or pulling shots is like asking if a corvette is a good car, or if John Deere makes a good tractor.
An Olympia Cremina is just fine for steaming. The point is not how much steam power but that you have enough "dry" steam. With an Olympia Cremina you will get excellent build quality and many small design improvements over La Pavoni.

The main point, though, is this is a machine you will enjoy when you are no longer a beginner. You will probably not want a better one for a long time, if ever. You are safe to buy one. Look at eBay completed listings for market price. Creminas hold their value or get more valuable over time because the new ones are so absurdly expensive.

People emphasize the grinder because this pairs with the espresso machine for making precise extractions. The accuracy of the grind at the fineness required for espresso has less room for mistakes than the choice of espresso machine. The espresso machine provides water within a consistent temperature range. You want a range to extract a variety of flavors from the coffee. The espresso machine forces water under pressure through the coffee cake in a closed brew chamber. With a manual lever like the Cremina you have a lot of control of that. You get a feel for it. You will need to learn to manage temperature, dose and grind fineness by taste. The density and amount of the coffee resists the pressure of the water forced through it and creates big differences in taste and mouthfeel within small tolerances.

It is essential to see:

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Espresso 101: Newbie Introduction to Espresso [videos]
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

autotrader (original poster)

#12: Post by autotrader (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to meet my buddy on Sunday and check out the machine. If its in good condition I'm going to buy it 8)

takeshi

#13: Post by takeshi »

TomC wrote:There's an abundance of info on this site about starting out in home espresso preparation, including selecting a good quality grinder (which is more important than the machine you choose).
Speaking of which, skip the Rocky. Steps are spaced too far apart.