Can anyone help identify my Gaggia model?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thekingsarms

#1: Post by thekingsarms »

Hi all. I'm trying to find an online manual for my Gaggia espresso machine as we are having trouble wiring it in properly (the live and neutral wires are not labelled or colour-coded).

Any help would be gratefully received.

stuartmac

#2: Post by stuartmac »

are you sure it has a neutral , most big machines are 240v two wire , can you post a pic of the terminal block that the power cord connects too.

thekingsarms (original poster)

#3: Post by thekingsarms (original poster) »

Pics:

Alan Frew

#4: Post by Alan Frew »

Your machine is 3 phase 230v (common for 3 groups, they need a lot of power.) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power for the colour coding.

Alan

#5: Post by thekingsarms (original poster) »

Thanks Alan. I think the electricians have installed a single phase supply by the looks of it.

Guess I'll have to call them back! Many thanks.

AngerManagement

#6: Post by AngerManagement »

I would also be concerned re what seems to be exposed copper IF that big creamy item is cabling...

In addition you may need to get the electrician to confirm the connections on the rotary switch as it could have been modified at some stage....

Some people have caused all sorts of issues when re wiring 3 phase equipment to a single phase supply for many reasons..

Take care and get it full checked out; do not assume its just a plug problem.

thekingsarms wrote:Pics:

Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

jonr

#7: Post by jonr »

Worse case, you can add a VFD (variable frequency drive) to convert single phase 230VAC to 3 phase.

il.tecnico

#8: Post by il.tecnico »

This would be a 20 year old D90 evolution ...
if you pull of the cover on the right side of the machine(power switch / heating element side) it has wiring info for both 1 phase and 3 phase. I've wired enough of these to know.. very common to find multi-conductor wiring and you twist them to match the manufacturers spec phase. (be it black with black.. and brown with blue). I've repaired same machines (semi auto) where clients got hosed for $3500 rebuilt and the wiring was completely messed with (power switch was bypassed and always had standing power.. had to shut off at breaker).
Beware of electricians you hire, some are more house wire pullers and are clueless. Sorry but i have to say...Some dude on this forum went out of his way to re-wire a multi-conductor Elektra 2 group cause it confused him is beyond me.

other than that...buona fortuna with you Gaggia

PS:
wiring colors
Marrone = brown
Azzuro/Blue = Blue
Nero = Black
Terra = Ground

#9: Post by thekingsarms (original poster) »

Thanks, that's very helpful. Much appreciated

il.tecnico

#10: Post by il.tecnico »

youre welcome... if it helps any.. i could take a image of wiring schematic i am repairing for a family friend..that friends being a semi auto.. i think its still valid as its the same age.