Protecting the heating element - Thermal distributor on an Arrarex Caravel? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Seacoffee

#11: Post by Seacoffee »

Make sure the Caravel is assembled properly, i.e. each component is properly in place. This will result in the element pressed firmly against the boiler. I suspect some failure may be attributed to parts not being located correctly which can mean the element is not connecting completely with the boiler and so the element can overheat because the heat is not conducted to the boiler resulting in early failure.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by dumpshot »

Good stuff! Thanks for conducting the experiment.

I measured the same info and heated 25 degrees C to 100 degrees C using 600 G of water. Took 14 minutes on the 110v VAM. That is quite a bit longer than 9 minutes. I will test the 220v VAM using this criteria, but like I said, they are virtually identical. Wonder why?

Pete
LMWDP #484

Advertisement
crazy4espresso

#13: Post by crazy4espresso replying to dumpshot »

Do both elements put out the same wattage? Weren't new boilers slightly thinner metal than the old? Elements making good contact? A few things to consider.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by dumpshot »

Good points.

I believe the replacement element is 500 watts. The originals are 550? That could be all the difference right there. The very first version elements (which I had and it failed) that are flatter and more robust were 600 watts. I think that was one of the first things to be changed. Even version 1.1 with many VAM features have the newer style 550 watt element.

Maybe someone who has seen all the versions can chime in, but I want to say that even as they started cutting costs later on down the road, the boilers were still the same gauge stainless. I recently bought a replacement boiler from OE's closeout sale and it appears to be the same gauge as my older version. My original boiler is a first version with the release button just above the vertical metal strip and the "new" one I bought has the release button at the top, indicating it is several versions newer.

I know my boiler is making great contact with the element. I spent a lot of time getting that just right. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the element is transferring more heat to the body of the machine than some others. I have reported that the body of my machine gets pretty hot compared to others'. I will have to take a picture of this, but the replacement element is slightly wider than the originals and touches the spring loaded tray. I never noticed this until I recently got the OE VAM. The element in this one does not touch the tray on the sides and the body is noticeably cooler.

Sorry if this topic is veering from the thermal distributor discussion.

Pete
LMWDP #484