Rosco Mini Hand Grinder Review - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Aaron,

You will be enjoying it for espresso definitely. That's the Rosco Mini's forte IMO. :mrgreen:

Some tips for loosening/tightening the locknut in case you're not doing it yet -

To set the adjustment, set it to about ~0.025mm finer than you want & finger tighten it. Then tighten it further by holding both the locknut & bottom (referred to as cutter body in manual) towards coarser. Both the cutter body & locknut will move together and be tighten securely. It will be easier than by tightening the locknut alone - I was doing just that when I first received it. The cutter body & locknut were meant to be moved together thus they both have the gripping surface.

To unlock, just hold both the locknut & cuttter body and turn towards finer setting. They will come loose VERY easily.

Hope it makes sense.

For the brass ordor, the ordor isn't that strong and I actually did not notice it until brought up by Tom. The smell would be gone in a few minutes too just in case anyone is wondering. Not a biggies IMO. :P
Aaron wrote: Switching between grind settings is very simple. I definitely recommend this grinder if you want something well built and can handle the entire grind spectrum. If you want one grinder for all coffee making applications for the rest of your life this one will last that long.
Exactly!

Javier

#32: Post by Javier »

You will be enjoying it for espresso definitely. That's the Rosco Mini's forte IMO.
How about for drip brewing? Does it produce too many fines for drip? Just wondering.
LMWDP #115

Aaron

#33: Post by Aaron »

I use it every day for pourovers (V60 and Chemex) and it's great. I have a 500mL Monarch Methods kettle so the grinder holds the perfect amount of beans for a full kettle. The grind is consistent and makes a great cup of coffee. Pourover and travel use was my main reason for purchasing it. It's compact design makes traveling to work or trips easy.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Javier wrote:How about for drip brewing? Does it produce too many fines for drip? Just wondering.
Probably not fines-free, but it looks good to me. Probably the best you could get without venturing into the bulk grinders. :lol:

These are 8g Ethiopian Sidamo ground to coarse-salt-sized for french press (at 2.0mm). Without sifting, just spread over a paper.