Descale a Quickmill QM67 dual boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rickdm

#1: Post by rickdm »

This is my first post, though I have been lurking and learning for several months. Thanks to the knowledge gleaned from this site I ended up with a Vario-W and a Quick Mill QM67. These have been great and I am on the long road to educating myself about Espresso.

I have done many searches and have read the water FAQ, but I am still confused about de-scaling my machine. Based on the strips that Chris sends out with the machine the water in Dallas is pretty good; less than 50ppm. Yet I know that even this amount will accumulate in the machine over time. Chris does not want you to de-scale and will void your warranty, yet it seems like regular mild de-scaling would keep the machine running well and avoid the problems you get when large chunks of minerals are dislodged.

Am I going to cause problems by filling each boiler with a de-scaling solution, tilting the machine on each side for a period of time, then flushing it all out? My thought was to do this every three months. I have also been investigating filtration, but since my machine is not plumbable this is a bit challenging. Any concerns or suggestions?

Thank you,
rick