Water leak escaping around portafilter?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
GrainBrewer

#1: Post by GrainBrewer »

Water is dripping rapidly from two sides between the group head and portafilter of my 2 year old Alex Duetto II. I removed the screen assembly and found it to be terribly dirty and plugged, so apparently I'm not back-flushing the machine frequently enough. I figured this was the problem, so I cleaned it thoroughly and everything in the group head is now totally clean. The washer that holds the screen in is not damaged or brittle. Unfortunately, this didn't change the leak problem. I'm using the same Rancilio bottomless portafilter that came with the machine. Any ideas?

kize

#2: Post by kize »

When was the last time your machine received a new group gasket ?

GrainBrewer (original poster)

#3: Post by GrainBrewer (original poster) »

Still with all the original components ~2yrs out. I didn't get any instructions with the machine when I purchased it. How often do you need to replace the group gasket? The gasket doesn't seem hard, it is pliable with no cracks or other defects. Does the screen need to be replaced as well? Anything else I've neglected? Thanks for the reply!

kize

#4: Post by kize »

Do a search on the forum- e61 group gasket replacement. There are many posts on how to change and when - with pics . If it's leaking it's over due . Gasket goes on with screen with grooved side up towards group. Some replace screen when they replace gasket others just clean it if not damaged taking it off.