Baratza Vario next step, $1500 budget? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jerbear00

#11: Post by jerbear00 »

I had the same experience as you recently. I had a vario and duetto.

I bought the K10 Pro Barista. She is hands down amazing. No upgraditis. I swapped the burrs in my vario to ditting and now I feel I have the perfect coffee corner for espresso, drip, and occasional French press.

angman

#12: Post by angman »

If you picked up Russels HG-One, congrats. Its an amazing grinder and i use it daily. I also occasionally use the K10 Fresh and its also amazing. The Pharos may be the same quality in the cup but it just drove me insane using it. I also used a Mazzer Major daily prior to the big conicals and it was a very good grinder but the conical a require far less tweaking of the grind. I almost never have to dial in my grind now unless i switch beans. With the flat burrs i had to do daily tweaking.

ECM

#13: Post by ECM »

For what it's worth....

Several months ago I bought a GS3 and Mazzer Robur combo. Wow... what a team of horses they were. As I had an impending movie down east which I thought would be very expensive I started selling off everything including my espresso set-up.

Well it turns out my financial situation is not going to be that bad. In fact, I still have enough scratch left over to get a new set up along with some financial help from a friend: Mazzer Robur and Quick Mill Vetrano DB.

I guess my point is this: the Robur is no small fortune but boy, what a grinder. Set it and forget it comes to mind. The Robur is by far the best grinder I have ever owned or used. The different flavor of clarity one is able to pick up in the cup is so enjoyable. Now I'm either crazy for buying the same grinder again or crazy correct for doing so. Buy your next grinder once; Mazzer Robur and never worry about this whole upgrading issue again. In my opinion it is the best built grinder on the market that delivers an outstanding grind.

Rob

GrainBrewer (original poster)

#14: Post by GrainBrewer (original poster) »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I'll hold out for a Titan of some sort. A Robur is a stretch at $2500, and I don't quite understand how they warrant the price (My Alex Duetto II was similarly priced, and it is a vastly more complicated machine), but it sounds like a one time investment, which is uncommon.

Rob, I would love to throw down $10,000 for a GS3 and a Robur, or better yet a Speedster, but despite being a doctor, I am married, and the glint of the light off the GS3 would outshine that from the mason jar containing my unmentionables, displayed up on the mantle. Ha!

This is a crazy hobby...