Leaking La Marzocco GS/3's and heat cycling

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Derekb

#1: Post by Derekb »

Mine is not leaking but after reading all of today's leaking posts I opened up mine and looked around carefully inside. All is well. Mine is a manual paddle#1700, in service almost 2 years. I leave it on 24/7 except when away from home for more than one day. The o rings are still original. One time returning home after shutting down the machine for a week I moved the paddle a bit before it heated back up. There was a tiny drip that would not stop for about 15 minutes then completely disappeared. I think the moral of that story is similar to the Cremina mantra of no dry or cold pumping of the lever.

I do wonder if mine cycles the heating elements more frequently lately; I can hear the water nearing a boil or something that sounds that way quite often now and cannot remember if it was that way before. If I watch the "boiler on" icons, they both flash every 3-5 seconds. It seems that both boilers turn on for a very brief period of time quite frequently. Anyone else care to report on their heat cycle durations?

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Italyhound »

Derek

Mine's currently off but I will take a peek and report back. I don't notice what you are describing but, then again, I generally don't pay attention. look a squirrel. I like cake.

Advertisement
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Peppersass »

Derekb wrote:I do wonder if mine cycles the heating elements more frequently lately; I can hear the water nearing a boil or something that sounds that way quite often now and cannot remember if it was that way before. If I watch the "boiler on" icons, they both flash every 3-5 seconds. It seems that both boilers turn on for a very brief period of time quite frequently. Anyone else care to report on their heat cycle durations?
After 2-3 years my GS/3 started making "boiling sounds" when the heaters switch on. It's somewhat intermittent -- i.e., I don't always hear the sounds when the icons flash. I suspect it's probably due to mineral buildup on the heating elements. When I pulled the steam boiler heater to replace the seal, I noticed the element had some very hard buildup.

I suspect this buildup is the cause of the sound. I tried to soak it off with vinegar, but it was so thick and hard that not much came off.

I didn't record the heating cycle interval when the machine was new, so I don't know if the cycle is more frequent now.

FWIW, I'm not terribly concerned about the sound or the cycle time.