The OE Caravel VAM explored - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Grazie mille, Francesco. I always appreciate your insight on the Caravel. Thanks for taking the time to check out this mystery.

I am still intrigued, however, by the prospect that this could have been a prototype or special order. The thing that seems irrefutable is the body being cast with the hole. I will uninstall the switch and take some pictures of the hole. Not sure if that will be proof or not since it has been bead blasted as Dr. G pointed out.

Francesco - my offer still stands for a direct trade between the mystery switch VAM and one of your Esportazione. :wink:

Thanks again,
Pete

P.S. The bottom plate is installed upside down because the homemade feet don't quite screw in correctly when the bottom is oriented correctly. I might have to rectify that since I am noticing stuff collecting in the groove.
LMWDP #484

francesco

#12: Post by francesco »

hi gary, we hope to find another VAM with the same switch in the next years!

Supporter ♡

#13: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

OK, here are a couple of photos of the hole and the switch. My photography skills are limited to my iphone combined with poor lighting. Sorry about that! When Doug says that the holes were cast and not drilled, that is all I need to hear. But I thought it would be interesting to show them here and see if anyone has any insight as well.

The switch is really cool. The electrical connection is made ("on") when the plunger is pulled out and the metal "ball" inserts into the flexible clips on either side. "Off" is when it ball is disengaged from the clips by pushing it out. Simple and robust.

Pete

ON

OFF

LMWDP #484

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

dumpshot wrote:When Doug says that the holes were cast and not drilled, that is all I need to hear. But I thought it would be interesting to show them here and see if anyone has any insight as well.
Agreed about trusting what Doug says.

It's interesting to see that the hole is a bit off round.

Pulling out Inspector Clouseau's magnifying glass I would expect a hole made with a drill press to be symmetrical, but that's inconclusive because someone could drill a smaller hole and file it outward to squeeze the switch in there.

Also is there anything written on the switch to indicate model or manufacturer? If so is it the same manufacturer as the other switches?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

I almost got to see Pete's VAM Caravel with the side switch recently but airline cargo charges intervened. Today Francesco Ceccarelli sent me these photos of another Caravel with a side switch that looks like it's installed at the factory. He doesn't know more details about the machine and gave permission for me to share what he found.

Gary
LMWDP#308

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Wow. I must have missed this post. That switch is completely different than mine, but it is in the exact same spot! Maybe Francesco will share pics of the internals or any other clues as to the provenance.

I am completely convinced that my switch was done at the factory. Whether it was for a special order or some kind of short lived prototype remains a mystery.

Pete
LMWDP #484

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Francesco doesn't have the machine but was forwarded those photos, which he sent to you and me. Pretty interesting, though, along with that other late model Caravel thread where the thermal switch is installed right in that same spot.
Gary
LMWDP#308