Rancilio Silvia PID Overshoot

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bronc

#1: Post by bronc »

Hi guys! I just recently upgraded to Rancilio Silvia from a Gaggia Classic and to make things even better installed a PID on the Miss. The PID is the Sestos DS1 which is pretty much an Auberins knock-off. I'm using a K-type thermocouple attached to one of the bolts of the thermostats on top of the boiler. Everything works perfectly except that I get an overshoot of 2-3*C after a shot. I know that it's not much and I usually don't care about it but when I have friends over it makes making multiple drinks problematic. The settings for P, I, and D derived from the auto-tune function are: 660/9999, 214/9999 and 117/9999. I've read quite a lot of threads but most PID controllers have quite narrower ranges for the three variables. I increased the D term to around 300 which kind of solved the problem but overshoot is still present. What really bugs me is that very often the temperature reaches the setpoint of 95*C and settles there but the PID again turns on the SSR and it overshoots to 96-97*C. Also I don't think the Sestos has a function similar to the damp constant of the Auberins or the Anti-reset
windup of the REX C100. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here is a link to the manual of the PID in case you want to check anything there: http://www.sestos-hk.com/english/download/d1s-en.pdf