La Marzocco Linea sightglass.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
xavierm

#1: Post by xavierm »

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 3 group Linea second hand.

I have noticed that in small front glass window on the far right there is some build of sediment.

My first thought was that it is calcium build up/limescale

Is there anything else that this could be ? and could this problem be centralized the only this part?

Thank you!

kize

#2: Post by kize »

If you're seeing scale/calcium in the water level window- there is good odds that its built up in the boiler as well. Depending on the water quality and filters ( or lack of) used on the machine will dictate the buildup

xavierm (original poster)

#3: Post by xavierm (original poster) replying to kize »

Ok, Thanks for your reply.

The machine was in storage for quite some time, I'm just hoping its not in the boiler. oh well.

Alan Frew

#4: Post by Alan Frew replying to xavierm »

The STORAGE is unlikely to have had all that much effect as far as scale is concerned. However, scale in the sightglass means that the boilers, every pipe and every possible orifice will be chock full 'o scale, due to the USAGE. Anticipate a future with many wrenches, much gasket replacement, and lots of vinegar.

Alan

mattskudlarek

#5: Post by mattskudlarek »

In regards to the sightglass on the linea, does anyone know how to get it apart to clean it? Thanks in advance.

Billc

#6: Post by Billc »

To dis-assemble the sight glass the chrome ring holding the glass on the face must be removed. Turn Anticlockwise to remove. There is a special tool to do this but may not be available for purchase. Look on page 16 of the parts catalog to see all of the parts.
http://www.lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content ... atalog.pdf

If there is setiment in the sight glass then you can be sure there is some in the boiler. They are connected vis a large tube on the bottom of the sight glass and also a smaller tube on the top. It could also be some old milk that got sucked into the boiler via the steam wand.

Billc