Looking for a grinder to accompany La Pavoni

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Breifne

#1: Post by Breifne »

Looking for a grinder to accompany an impending La Pavoni lever espresso machine.

These are all used machines, so I know they might have some wear & tear issues which I'd have to find out about before purchasing. Please have a look at these listings and give me your thoughts:

The first is a La Pavoni grinder for 180 Euros (plus VAT):

http://www.donedeal.ie/shopfittings-for ... ed/5548362

The second and third are listed in this ad ... One is an Elektra for €245, and the other is a Mazzer Lugi, also at €245:

http://www.donedeal.ie/shopfittings-for ... rs/5469226

Breifne (original poster)

#2: Post by Breifne (original poster) »

One of these is listed for sale locally, which is a bonus considering shipping costs, etc. What are your thoughts on this grinder?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUNILL-MC5-MA ... 0882338219

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

The Mazzer Luigi seems good if it's a Super Jolly, which is the actual model. It depends on the condition and you'll want to at least replace the burrs. The site you pointed to seems to sell a Super Jolly for 350 Euros, not 245, which is a bit steep for a used one.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#4: Post by Breifne (original poster) »

Okay ... between these two and for the same money, which grinder would you choose?

Rossi RR45A

or ...

Compak K6

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Probably the best thing is check the write-ups using the search function on this site rather than show moving targets here and wait for a response. You just want something that's really good that you can afford, right? Although it's a different direction than your search I'm glad to have an Orphan Espresso Pharos to have a gold standard grinder to work with for my few espressos at home. It's got its ergonomic challenges but I manage fine with it especially after doing the voodoodaddy mods. A Super Jolly works great when I'm pulling multiple shots and it's pretty close to the Pharos.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#6: Post by Breifne (original poster) »

Does the Pharos still have to be emptied through the plug in the bottom? I find that unacceptable.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Well, then, your search is still on. I managed with the plug in the bottom for a year. It worked for me. My main point was not about the Pharos, though. There's lots of information on the site. Please search others' write-ups when you've got a used grinder in your sights.
Gary
LMWDP#308