The ultimate cheap shot - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
[creative nickname]

#21: Post by [creative nickname] »

Well, you can occasionally find Caravels with 110v elements; one of mine is configured that way. But with that proviso added, I'm not sure I could call them easy to find anymore! So at this point, I'd probably steer you towards a Crossland CC1 + Pharos.
LMWDP #435

Maxwell Mooney

#22: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Cuisinart EM-200- thermoblock that is solid, preinfusion, a steam wand. Cost me $170. The little brother version can be had for less, same internals, no programmability.

Paired with a Hario mini mill. Not ideal but you can pull excellent shots with it. Puts me at $200.

Ristrettos are borderline with the Cuisinart. I couldn't get a 1:1 ratio, but I wouldn't want to anyway.

As far as consistency goes, the Cuisinart is excellent. It really is an under appreciated machine. I've served some incredible baristas coffee off of it and it's blown them away every time. Since getting a routine down (using a lelit pl53 as my daily grinder) the only time I pull a sink shot is if I'm dialing in a brand new coffee. After I've set parameters they're pretty much consistent shot to shot.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

russel

#23: Post by russel »

[creative nickname] wrote:I really doubt that some of the suggestions above rise to the level of a "top notch" shot, which is what you asked for.
Obviously I'm a little late on this thread, but for the sake of the records, I would like to state that one of the top 3 shots that I have ever pulled myself was a Verve Costra Rican (Zarcero) ground using a Super Caimano and pulled on a MyPressi. When I say top, I mean one of the shots that has contributed to my continuing dissatisfaction with espresso at large. Such a thing is not repeatable, but with a good grinder and some well temped water the Twist is far more capable that it might at first appear.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com