TC4 is available again for data logging and roast profiling - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
beedix (original poster)

#11: Post by beedix (original poster) »

Ya, the TC4 logs roasts and it does have a fan and output signals but these outputs have to be connected to the hottop fan and heater controls. The easiest way was the HTC board but you cant buy it now. I may email scgadgets and see if he would be willing to design an interface board. He mentioned that he did design service but he wasn't cheap :|

cygnusx1

#12: Post by cygnusx1 »

Ben did you happen to check the other "home roasting" web forum to see if their users have anything posted on the HTC? I've been on it doing some research on a TC4/Arduino set up for myself.

beedix (original poster)

#13: Post by beedix (original poster) »

Yeah, I've followed "the other forum" and there hasn't been a solution. They do have a semi-do-it-yourself TC4 ordering program setup which was neat but with shipping it costs more than the fully kitted TC4 from scgadgets on ebay. But no, I don't see any HTC options.

I did email scgadgets to see if he had any plans to design an HTC add-on or if a pooled order would be enough to motivate him :)

GreenBean

#14: Post by GreenBean »

The TC4 version 4, designed by JimG, is open source and so, as mentioned in the above posts, is now available from a number of sources. The HTC and HTSheild are not open source and the copyright is owned by JimG. Jim and I spent hundreds of hours over several months developing and testing the HTC/HTShield hardware and firmware and the details will not be released without Jim's agreement.

Hopefully, Jim will be back in production in the coming months. In the meantime I have developed an alternate (RL-HT-CTRL board) that provides the same functionality but it is only available in small numbers and will only work with the RoastLogger. For details see this HB thread, this review by Randy Glass and this page of the RoastLogger website.

I only have a few boards left and they will probably go soon. Once they have gone I suggest people wait a few months for Jim. If, in a few months time, Jim is still not back in production then I could make another batch of boards but that would only be worthwhile if at least 4 people had committed to purchase a board so I would ask anyone interested to register their interest by emailing me at the email address included in the feedback section of the RoastLogger website. If Jim is back in production in these few months I will pass the details of those interested on to him.

ginny

#15: Post by ginny »

We are not charging for anything at all simply offering places for members to purchase items they may need.

ginny

happycat

#16: Post by happycat »

I'd suggest that JimG and Greenbean consider licensing their design. You don't have to give it away. You could license it to people who want to do the grunt work and keep the fee small enough to keep people honest.
LMWDP #603

beedix (original poster)

#17: Post by beedix (original poster) replying to happycat »

Hi Happycat, the TC4 is licensed under a very generous Creative Commons CC BY-SA license which allows you to modify as long as you give credit to the source. I've been using the TC4 since posting this thread and it's just awesome. Consistent roasting is a thing of the past now. There are a couple of options that I'm aware of for obtaining the TC4 under the license.

1) It's open source so you can order the PCB and parts yourself from about 3 vendors.
2) There is a guy on ebay that I think is still selling this already kitted so you wouldn't have the separate shipping charges and whatnot. I posted links for convenience to my fellow rosters but I'll paste them here:

TC4 Kit with Arduino ($159)
You supply your own thermocouples, usb cable
Scgadgets solders and tests the TC4 Shield. Scgadgets programs the UNO for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200966607878

TC4 Kit with Arduino ($89)
You supply your own thermocouples, usb cable
You solder and test the TC4 Shield. Scgadgets programs the UNO for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200964843991

TC4 Kit - Solder it yourself ($55)
You supply your own thermocouples, usb cable, Arduino UNO R3
You solder and test the TC4 Shield. You program the UNO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201013090157

TC4 Circuit Board Only ($20)
You supply your own parts for the board, thermocouples, usb cable, Arduino UNO R3
You solder and test the TC4 Shield. You program the UNO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200949919036

SJM

#18: Post by SJM »