Brewing Method Recommendations for Book - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Netphilosopher

#11: Post by Netphilosopher »

Also - the Hario Mini is not great without some fussing, and I find it doesn't provide consistency over time. Way too much center axle motion. It's only a tick better than a whirlyblade.

Unfortunately, that means there isn't a really good option for hand grinders in the budget range (<$60). There are lots of decent options in the $80-140 range for grinders, though. I have a Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder. The Capresso Infiniti is supposed to be decent, too. Baratza Encore.

Once you're up to $165, then the LIDO is a really great hand machine but you have to wait to Oct for the 2nd generation.

CaptainCowpie (original poster)

#12: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

Buttercup wrote:Also - the Hario Mini is not great without some fussing, and I find it doesn't provide consistency over time. Way too much center axle motion. It's only a tick better than a whirlyblade.

Unfortunately, that means there isn't a really good option for hand grinders in the budget range (<$60). There are lots of decent options in the $80-140 range for grinders, though. I have a Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder. The Capresso Infiniti is supposed to be decent, too. Baratza Encore.

Once you're up to $165, then the LIDO is a really great hand machine but you have to wait to Oct for the 2nd generation.
I have the Hario Mini and you are right it does have a lot of axle motion. But for the price it is pretty good for what it delivers. Hadn't thought about the Capresso but I am going to look into it.

Can't wait for the Lido II to come out. I am purchasing a hand grinder in the next 3 months and am going to be looking at that and the HG One.

#13: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

orphanespresso wrote:I wouldn't leave hand grinders out of the upper categories - people hand grind coffee for many reasons, sometimes not related to coffee at all, and there are several better grinders than a Hario Mini.
I was thinking that the people I am targeting probably won't want to hand grind unless they can't afford an electric. But I may add in additional options to explore somewhere in the book. And I have an idea for an upcoming hand grinder to include. :D

hankua
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by hankua »

I agree with NetP
Braun blade grinder, CCD, and used French press,

Eastsideloco

#15: Post by Eastsideloco »

CaptainCowpie wrote: Other Categories?:
Nothing beats a table top siphon/vacuum coffee brewer for a "Dinner Party Coffee."

See how pretty:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21519888@N ... 030938296/

For best results, one really needs to an adjustable heat source, like a butane burner, rather than a spirit (alcohol) lamp, which is either on or off. I modified a cutting board in order to fit a butane burner to the Cona brewer, but most people don't want that hassle. In some cases you can find a vacpot sold with a butane burner:

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Coffee-Sipho ... B002CVTKTM

http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/swanky- ... jM7W2R5rgQ

However, the butane burner is often sold separately as an upgrade from the spirit burner. While siphon brewing is a not the easiest method to master, it makes a great cup and the "wow" factor is unparalleled. The most commonly available tabletop siphon brewers in the US are manufactured by Yama or Hario.

Perhaps more relevant to your project: Given the number of cafes featuring manual pour over brewing, you should really survey those products: Hario V60, BeeHouse dripper, Kalita Wave, etc.

Also consider a section on Gooseneck kettles:

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VKB-120HSV- ... d_sim_k_16

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable ... ita+kettle

#16: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

I had decided to skip the manual pour over method for this book, mainly because there is a certain degree of skill needed in the pour. It's not huge, but I didn't think it gave much benefit over a CCD or Aeropress which are more forgiving.

As for the siphon, it is one of the few methods I have not tried yet. I am thinking that if I like putting together this book, I will do another one with more "advanced" techniques, including the siphon. That just gives me an excuse to buy one. :D

Vince

#17: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

Buttercup wrote:But there are techniques and methods that are less sensitive to grind. (note: I said "LESS" not "INsensitive")

If you're careful, you can still get a whirlyblade coffee chopper to work fine for French Press.
Based on this discussion, I decided to keep the recommendation of an inexpensive hand grinder in the lower price point, but offer the whirly blade as an option if it is stopping people from grinding their own beans. I will have to research a good method to recommend as I have never owned one.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. It has really helped me out.

Vince

Eastsideloco

#18: Post by Eastsideloco »

I had decided to skip the manual pour over method for this book, mainly because there is a certain degree of skill needed in the pour. It's not huge, but I didn't think it gave much benefit over a CCD or Aeropress which are more forgiving.
Gotcha. That's a perfectly reasonable selection criteria.

In that case, I'd consider including the Sowden Softbrew coffee maker:

http://www.sowden.co/pages/softbrew/coffee.html

Hard to imagine a simpler process: add coffee and water; steep; remove grounds (or not); serve.

The Cafe Solo is another attractive immersion brewer that is super simple to use:

http://www.evasolo.com/productinfo/567590/

Both of these brewers are available in multiple sizes.

boar_d_laze

#19: Post by boar_d_laze »

Just some thoughts:
  • Considering that it's one of the most common methods of brewing, failing to address pour-over brewing and not recommending at least a few brewers seems short sighted. Caveat if you must, but at least address popular brewers like the Chemex. And honestly, unless you're ridiculously obsessive good pour over brewing isn't that complicated.
  • Ultimate or not, there's no reason to spend more money unless it actually buys something beyond the prestige of spending more. The most expensive is not necessarily the best.
  • For home grinding which doesn't involve espresso or Greek/Turkish, and particularly if the use includes press coffee, I'm not aware of anything better than the Breville Smart and Baratza Virtuoso, at any price. The Smart ($200) is more user friendly and better styled, while the Virtuoso ($230) is a little more strongly built.
  • The Royal Coffee Maker Vacuum Brewer is THE ultimate, spare no expense, vac pot. It's not only wonderfully luxurious but makes an exceptionally good cup of coffee. Also, at 1L it's more practical for a couple's morning coffee or the post prandial demitasses for a small dinner party than the smaller Chinese clones. And, unlike Yana or Cona vac pots it doesn't require the bother of an extra filter.
  • The Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle is another ultimate.
  • The Bon Jour French presses with the "flavor lock" plate and pouring mesh represent a small step forward compared to the ordinary Bodum type press. That said, it's not enough better to buy one if you prefer the looks of the something more traditional.
  • The Espro press, however, is a quantum leap better than any other press on the market and is definitely THE press to own. Compared to other presses they're very pricey; but are well worth the extra money.
Finally:
  • The Chemex + Kone, like the Espro, deserves a spot on any list with enough budget to hold it.
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

happycat

#20: Post by happycat »

Marshall wrote:If you really mean "not the fanatics like us," forget manual grinding. You will lose 90% of your readers right there. An electric blade grinder, especially if it is shaken while grinding, is what you want for the under $60 budget.
Marshall raises an interesting point... I think the issue here is in recommending packages for dollar amounts rather than providing a few handy heuristics and painting some pictures of what's possible given those heuristics and letting the reader make their own choices based on their needs. After all, the book is about quality taste, so our demographic is going to be someone who is at least a little motivated.

One simple heuristic relates to burr size and what it offers in terms of flavour and forgiveness and speed. If I had known about the Pharos and Lido, I would've bought them first and not the Encore and Hario Mini.

Another heuristic relates to flavour possibilities vs. burr sizes. If I had known about the flavour potential for coffee, I would've concentrated on getting those products instead of wasting time with crap products. I also would've been more motivated to buy bigger-burr grinders to get those amazing new flavours.

Another heuristic relates to use cases. What kind of time do people have for making coffee? Do they make it for one/two or many? What kind of space do they have for equipment? Are they averse to a little exercise or would they enjoy the amazing aroma as they grind?

This doesn't have to be complicated... but I think relating some simple decision-making criteria to lifestyles is the best favour you can do for your readers. I can picture some simple diagrams of continuums here.

Stepping through Encore, Preciso, Virtuoso, Vario is kind of a painful process, at least for me, because there are so many minor tiers and it's not really clear how to make the decision or what we're really paying for... are we paying for motors, burrs, electronics, convenience? Those are all different choices related to different needs. How do we know how much we want to spend if we are not clear on what our goals are or what is possible? Now that I've tasted creamy caramel and balanced acidity in my cup, I know I've spent wisely on the equipment I have. But I didn't even know such things were possible, at the beginning.

Good luck with this project
LMWDP #603