Faster extraction w/ bottomless portafilter? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
erik82

#11: Post by erik82 »

Lay a towel on your countertop and place the portafilter on top of that with the underside of the filterbasket facing up. With one hand, actually more like 3 fingers, push the filterbasket down on the countertop and with the other hand lift the PF by the handle. This should make it come out easily. The just remove the spring and have fun with it.

Never really liked the triple filterbaskets. They need too much coffee or a too fine grind and most of them have a marginal quality.

uRabbit (original poster)

#12: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

We got it out, and we are actually using a double basket with rounded corners that the roaster at Herkimer gave to us.

We're still having a lot of issues. Personally, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. The wife says the pressure needs to be lowered. I have no clue. I just know that it is super inconsistent. 21.6g was pulled through in just 18 seconds, ground at 2-J (iirc).

This most recent one was; 1.04 oz yield through 21.6 in 22.4 seconds at 2-G on the Vario, and tasted like burnt popcorn and bitterness and watery. How can this be?