Bancarella Cafe on San Francisco's Union Square

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a new cafe on the southwest side of Union Square in the central shopping district of San Francisco. To my delight they pulled a decent espresso from beans they roast themselves Third Wave style and on good equipment too -- notice the La Marzocco Strada and Mazzer Swift Mahlkonig K30 twin grinder. Their espresso blend was similar to what I've had at Sightglass. I haven't seen this place get much notice. They're owned by Emporio Rulli, a company that has another cafe across the square pulling shots of a traditional imported Italian darker roast. Here's where you get your coffee if you're not into walking five or six blocks and waiting in line at Blue Bottle Mint Plaza.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

frank828

#2: Post by frank828 »

drgary wrote: notice the La Marzocco Strada and Mazzer Swift grinder.
i think that's a mahlkonig k30 twin grinder.

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Busted. I'll correct it!
Gary
LMWDP#308

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

Wow! That's a lot of rent to cover. I wish them well.
Marshall
Los Angeles

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Emporio Rulli is there for a long time and well established. At Emporio Rulli and Bancarella their main business is probably pastries with coffee as an accompaniment. I'd like to see this place succeed too! Bancarella is in a more obscure corner, but they have lots of foot traffic right there. If coffee lovers spot it and recommend it, this should help. I posted a Yelp review after the other nine reviewers completely missed that the coffee is different and better than anything else nearby. There are two Starbucks within two blocks of there. Another well-established deli serves Mr. Espresso's Espresso Toscano. Bancarella is directly across the street from Macy's on the south and from the Sir Francis Drake hotel on the west side where there's a cable car line. It's next to a busy ticket seller. There are lots of events on the square itself, which is surrounded by established department stores. This is where San Francisco displays its Christmas tree and opens one of two outdoor skating rinks during the holidays. It's also the site of small musical events and other performances.
Gary
LMWDP#308