Nuova Simonelli Elli (not Ellimatic) startup questions - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PacMan (original poster)

#21: Post by PacMan (original poster) »

Christmas brought me a nice multimeter, actually to be used for artisan and roasting, that allowed me to troubleshoot my pump issues some more.

So, with the heating element disconnected and the brew switch or boiler fill switch on I'm getting 118V at the pump leads. With the element connected and heating I get 109V at the pump leads. Is this enough to cause the following issues:

With heating element on while brewing, or backflushing, the pump will start up and sound "normal" for a few seconds and then quiet down to a low hum. No water is coming out of the OPV for the duration of the 25s shot. Note that I calibrated the OPV with heating element disconnected to discharge ~240ml/min against a blind basket.

Another complicating factor is that I think the coil on my fill solenoid is bad because I sometimes see 1) when trying to fill the boiler water coming out the OPV and 2)with the pump disconnected and the fill button pressed I will only hear a hum coming from the solenoid and not the standard click.

My next move is to get a new fill solenoid but what do you guys think about the pump issue?

jannus

#22: Post by jannus »

Hi Pacman,

I only saw this thread now, hope it's not too late, but I think I can shed some light:

The OPV you're adjusting is more of a safety mechanism than an adjustable OPV. Normally you shouldn't adjust it. I know it's set to only start working at a pretty high pressure, and that's kind of just to prevent a major overpressure (shall we say explosive) situation. There is another OPV for a similar reason attached to the top of the boiler as well, for steam pressure. Once again, for safety, and not to be adjusted or removed.

It is possible to fit an adjustable OPV to the ellimatic, but I did it differently. I fitted an adjustable OPV from a Brewtus (or at least I was told that's where it's from) just after the pump itself, moving the pump to the left to make space for it.

The pump - yes, it's pretty noisy at first, and settles down to a quieter tone once pressure mounts. The OPVs you mention should never give out any water at all under normal circumstances.

If you're having funny issues with the solenoids, check that they're fitted the right way around. If fitted the wrong way around they will let water past while they're supposed to be closed. You can open them and clean them in the same way you've done the OPVs, I've had one with major scale buildup that didn't want to open.
* edit - I see you've opened one in anycase. If you didn't descale it, it's a good idea to do so.

*edit - (sorry, yes, I've got the ellimatic, not the elli special. As far as the plumbing goes, they're both pretty much identical though, everything I said applies to the elli special as well as the ellimatic)

Hope it helps!
Jan