SCAA coffee staling report

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Spitz.me

#1: Post by Spitz.me »

Hey

Was wondering if anyone who has free access to the paper can say a couple things about the findings. I know Jim Hoffman read it and his cryptic tweet about unreliable coffee tasters has me wondering...
LMWDP #670

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I've read it. Will post here or just send you a PM later if that works (heading out).

Edit: PM sent.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Given the logistics involved in testing three coffees roasted on a variety of machines and then cupped to standards that were self-policed in wide-spread settings, often by professional roasters, many of whom were not Q-graders, and consumers the study had self-admitted limitations.

But one interesting take-away was that the method of packaging (kraft, foil or foil plus nitro-flush) made little or no difference in the first week or two. So, it may be that the payoff in the more expensive packaging is only for bags destined for the supermarket. Actually kraft may be the better choice for quickly consumed beans, since the paper is biodegradable.
Marshall
Los Angeles

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

There are huge differences in people's perception of freshness, or rather staling; with some regarding coffees stored in valve bags as stale after a week, and others being OK with month old coffee. I think I may there might be an objective explanation for some of this variation:

In my experience, freshness is most apparent in the dry aroma of the grounds and in the cooling cup. This is also when experienced cuppers can most easily tell different coffees apart. If you drink coffee in a way where these factors are part of your experience, you will likely perceive staling much earlier than if you drink coffees hot and in ways that deemphasizes the aromatics, e.g. espresso. For instance, I brew coffee the first five to seven days after roasting, and after that, do it as espresso.

This interaction between aging and prep method is also going to affect the outcome of any study that does not use multiple prep methods in a strictly controlled manner.
Jim Schulman