La Spaziale (S1 Dream or Mini) vs. Rancilio Epoca S1 vs. Nuova Simonelli La Musica - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
esp70007 (original poster)

#11: Post by esp70007 (original poster) »

tglodjo wrote:The Dream has only been out a year or two. In essence, it's the next iteration of the Vivaldi, but it apparently hasn't performed as such. There are a lot more computer components. While the Vivaldi has a specific temp you can set within so many degrees, the Dream has a full PID. It also has timer, profiles, LED lights, etc. But some would say that more cpu components means more to break/malfunction. I really considered going for the Dream, but the aesthetics just got to me too much. I hate that face plate! The extra features are nice though. I'd give Chris' Coffee Service a call and ask about when they'll be back for sale. Last I heard over at S1cafe.com, La Spaz and CCS found the problem and fixed it and are now in intensive testing to make sure it works. Supposedly the steam produced from the hot water spigot was affecting the LCD display and touch panel.

If you can't plumb, I still recommend the Mini V. You may have to refill your tank once (or more) per day, but making 12 drinks, you'll probably be emptying that drip tray anyway. Without the ability to plumb, that reality will go for any machine, though, and the Mini still shines about the rest, IMHO. As for the lever steam instead of turn knob, I love it! One quick flip up and a quick flip down for on/off operation.
Thanks for the info, Mini it is! Can anyone tell me what is the best place to buy it in Canada? I have to order it online no one sells it nearby.

Abnuceals

#12: Post by Abnuceals »

Espressoplanet. Best deals, best service. I tried some others and it is not the same thing.
LMWDP 389

UFGators

#13: Post by UFGators »

If high quality espresso is your main goal, you need to look at a heat exchanger machine in your price range. I have owned a s1 in the past and while it is a great machine, in the 2000 dollar range there are better options, especially if you are willing to spend a bit more. The most important question I would ask you is, are you going to plumb in? Do you do mostly milk drinks or straight espresso?

I enjoyed my s1 while I had it but here are the complaints I had about it. The 53mm baskets get old, especially if you like to updose. You have to buy a bottomless portafilter in order to fit a triple. Even with a triple basket you won't be able to use more than 19 grams with most coffees without hitting the screen. The pre infusion on the plumbed in machine sounds great in theory but I find that it didn't add much to my shots.

To give you an idea of what I am using now. I have an elektra t1 and a bezzera Strega. The heat exchanger part of both was a bit of a pain to get used to at first but now I can dial in a shot with a one degree accuracy.

damonbowe

#14: Post by damonbowe »

How come you ruled out the Alex duetto iii and rocket r58 or other rocket models?

esp70007 (original poster)

#15: Post by esp70007 (original poster) »

UFGators wrote:If high quality espresso is your main goal, you need to look at a heat exchanger machine in your price range. I have owned a s1 in the past and while it is a great machine, in the 2000 dollar range there are better options, especially if you are willing to spend a bit more. The most important question I would ask you is, are you going to plumb in? Do you do mostly milk drinks or straight espresso?

I enjoyed my s1 while I had it but here are the complaints I had about it. The 53mm baskets get old, especially if you like to updose. You have to buy a bottomless portafilter in order to fit a triple. Even with a triple basket you won't be able to use more than 19 grams with most coffees without hitting the screen. The pre infusion on the plumbed in machine sounds great in theory but I find that it didn't add much to my shots.

To give you an idea of what I am using now. I have an elektra t1 and a bezzera Strega. The heat exchanger part of both was a bit of a pain to get used to at first but now I can dial in a shot with a one degree accuracy.
Quality of espresso is my main goal but Elektra is too expensive and manual is not my thing. I don't prefer DB over HX or vice versa and I did include two HX machines (epoca and musica) in my selection but there seems to be no love for them. Do you think any of those two (or any other machine) would result in better espresso (everything else being equal) than La Spaziale? And I will not plumb in and both straight espresso and milk drinks are important.
damonbowe wrote:How come you ruled out the Alex duetto iii and rocket r58 or other rocket models?
Mainly because I don't know much about them and nobody brought them to my attention. I checked them out and both are $700 or more over my budget. Is there anything else in $2000 range that competes favorably with La Spaziale?

Cheers!