Orphan Espresso Pharos owner's manual and mods

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
number9

#1: Post by number9 »

I have read about the OE Pharos, and I purchased one from an HB member. It should be here next week.
I am wondering if anyone has a copy of the instruction manual. Looking on search engines for the
"manual" for a manual grinder is an exercise in futility. I emailed OE a few days ago, and I have
received no response. I placed an order with them a day after for some parts, and they sent that
right out... odd. If anyone has a manual they would like to share/copy/email that would be great.

If not, how do you adjust the grind? Are there instructions to put a graduated scale on the top?
Does anyone have a standard printout, or are all of those papers I see in videos and pictures custom?
I just want to know so I can start getting things together for its arrival.

Also, I keep reading of the voodoo mods, but I sense that the member is not here any longer?
I have PM'd just asking if he sells any parts or hands out instructions/directions/dimensions
for one to build the basket for instance, but I received no reply (after a few days).

Finally, and this is a coffee/bean question: How do you guys figure out how much coffee to put in the
Pharos for a double shot? Do you just weigh the first few tries and narrow it down with a binary
search, for example? Or does someone have a starting point for the weight of the beans
before grinding (or is it the fact that each bag of roast is so different that you just don't keep
track, grind "enough" and toss the rest?)

Thanks!

bjornm

#2: Post by bjornm »

I don't think I ever used the manual, doubt you'll need it.

Search for "pharos technical bulletin" and you'll get OE's videos posted on youtube. They might be more useful.

As for dosing, I always weighed every dose. You'll lose 0.2 g or so in the grinding process.

Advertisement
mathof

#3: Post by mathof »

Having just bought some alum bolt covers and stainless bolts from VDD, I can testify that he is still around. He does take some time to respond to messages, though; I imagine he is quite busy.

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

I never liked the idea of cutting off the shaft of the Pharos because it obviously is an irreversible modification, and because I have never had any real problem getting ground coffee out of the thing after I realised how to do it! It seemed to me that the mechanical design was also compromised by shortening the shaft because alignment of the shaft is extremely critical.

I also never liked the idea of the protractor on the top of the Pharos, because the thing you are really measuring is the position of the adjusting nut relative to the burrs. I thought about how to do this for a very long time, and then made a simple modification that enables exact adjustment.

Pharos - Finally satisfied with adjustment system!!!

All you need is a stainless steel one piece locking collar and a few other minor pieces. You do not cut anything, so you if you find you do not like the change, you can return to stock.

If you use stainless washers for spacers instead of machining a spacer, two are about right. I do have an edited version of the wikimedia protractor that is scaled anti clockwise and goes all the way around. You can print this on clear label laser material and attach to an appropriate fender washer.

I had espresso early this morning, and then Turkish, and then espresso again. It took me all of five seconds to adjust the grind each time!