Using a scale when brewing pourover... - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
endlesscycles

#11: Post by endlesscycles »

Taz wrote:That's a pretty broad statement. and I'm not sure that I agree. unless I'm confused about what you're saying? care to elaborate?
Okay, batch brewed isn't "always better"; there is bad coffee coming out of the vast majority of batch brewers. However, when a Fetco is well programmed, it consistently brews better than manually possible. The obvious reasons are a flat, even bed depth, excellent thermal stability, very low turbulence, and a steady pour rate.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Taz (original poster)

#12: Post by Taz (original poster) »

Interesting. I have had a few cups from a fetco and, while it was definitely good for drip coffee, I never thought that it was amazing or better than other brew methods. obviously there are alot of variables to that situation. but Its possible that my taste buds simply prefer other brew methods like pour over or press pot (if done right) over drip coffee.

I guess the bottom line is that everyone has different taste buds.

Advertisement
endlesscycles

#13: Post by endlesscycles »

Taz wrote:...

I guess the bottom line is that everyone has different taste buds.
More likely the bottom line is that not everyone has a Fetco to play with side by side with manual brewing tools.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Taz (original poster)

#14: Post by Taz (original poster) replying to endlesscycles »

That, sir, is also quite true

pacificmanitou

#15: Post by pacificmanitou »

I've seen a lot of cafes use a scale and decanter like you would at home. Those that used pour over stations recently stopped so they could brew by weight. It doesn't seem to be a problem.
LMWDP #366

Taz (original poster)

#16: Post by Taz (original poster) »

Yea, I guess one would just have to buy a more expensive, non-finnicky scale and that should work fine. It wouldnt look as nice and neat as a pourover station, but I guess that isnt the end goal