Are new hand grinders capable of espresso grind? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
angman

#21: Post by angman »

I can't agree more. Having said that I hated and never used my Pharos but absolutely love to use my HG One. Sure it's expensive but what great things in life arent? I have spent more money pursing good but not great grinders in the past. That actually cost me more in the long run.

EricBNC

#22: Post by EricBNC »

I like the way my Pharos grinds - modless too. I have strong hands though...
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

angman

#23: Post by angman »

My issue with the Pharos wasnt that the grind was tough but more cause it was awkward. This might not be the case if one has hands on the larger size. It was also a removal of grounds issue. But to keep the thread on track I say that hand grinders can be capable depending on your budget. The Pharos for the best value. The HG One on the expensive end. I would think that the Rosco is a good compromise as well.

Spitz.me

#24: Post by Spitz.me »

angman wrote:I can't agree more. Having said that I hated and never used my Pharos but absolutely love to use my HG One. Sure it's expensive but what great things in life arent? I have spent more money pursing good but not great grinders in the past. That actually cost me more in the long run.
I think this comment may be true for more than you think. The comment about 'pursing good but not great grinders'. If you have the money, you should get a GREAT grinder. GREAT doesn't just mean it CAN produce exceptional grind for espresso, you have to take everything into account. (Size, ergonomics, etc.) There are enough testimonials, reviews, and intimate user experiences lambasted on these forums to tell you anything you want to know about hand grinders, or any grinder. The answers don't change unless something new comes out.

I will never get a manual grinder for espresso ever again. I'd rather motor. My experience with a standard Pharos was an exercise in frustration and sink shots. I have big hands and I'm not weak and that didn't seem to have any sort of positive impact on my experience with the Pharos. After spending about $600 on a Vario, $280 on a Pharos in search of a 'cheap alternative' I finally just bought a damn K10 and I never have to think about a grinder again. The HG-One is expensive, IMHO, but ergonomics are huge and it seems very few, if any, have an issue with the HG-One in that regard.

Final note, it's been proven that the LIDO does work well for espresso, so in pursuit of GOOD instead of GREAT, the LIDO would more than suffice and, DAVE STEPHENS who reviewed the Pharos and the LIDO side-by-side opted to use the LIDO more often because it was easier to use... or so I can remember.
LMWDP #670

EricBNC

#25: Post by EricBNC »

You will get no arguement from me about your experience with your Pharos, but I put mine up against a damn K10 and came away pleased with the results.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

angman

#26: Post by angman »

I think the Lido is a good compromise if you want ease of use for a "ggod" grind at a reasonable cost. As for the Pharos K10 (fresh) and HG one it is a total toss up in the morning between the HG and K10. They are both phenomenal grinders that yield amazing grinds and consistency. I am spoiled now and really should sell one if my grinders...so I can buy another machine.