Mypressi V2 + Preciso, Sour Shots - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
weebit_nutty

#41: Post by weebit_nutty »

dannyc193 wrote:Anyone else got any tips?
Sour shots are often the result of poor temperature, so I've optimized my workflow entirely around maximizing water temperature from kettle to cup. One thing I don't know if others do is heat their filter basket.

Anyway here is my espresso workflow.... This was fine tuned over the course of two or three dozen shots. The steps are executed in the exact sequence which I've described.

SETTING UP:
First, I start the kettle going with a liter of water. During this time I neatly set up the counter as follows:

I set the hot plate to 'WARM' setting and place the filter basket right in the center of it:

While the water is heating I grab my roast and fill my hand grinder on my digital scale with 22 grams of beans (sometimes I use less). Roughly two minutes later, I'm done with grinding the same time water reaches a full boil. I unscrew the grinder, set it aside and set the grind cup down.

Next, I grab the kettle and fill the tall mug containing the TWIST handle to the top. At the same time, I lift the TWIST reservoir out of the mug with one finger, fill the mug half way with boiling water, and gently place the reservoir back into the mug. I then fill reservoir to the lip and push the TWIST cap into the water and turn it lightly. Some hot water will flow out of the reservoir and submerge most of the reservoir with exception to the cap itself. Then I grab my grinds and pour it into the filter basket sitting on the hot plate . At this time, the filter is very warm but not so hot it can't be touched. I pick it up and quick tap and level it off over the knockbox and set it back down on the warming plate. I proceed with tamping the grinds directly on the hotplate and leave it there. I press the button on the kettle to get it boiling again.

PULLING THE SHOT
1. I grab the mug with the twist handle, empty it in the sink, set it back down and refill it with boiling water.
2. Next, I grab the mug with the reservoir, empty everything in the sink, set it back down and do almost exactly as before, except this time the reservoir is too hot to pick up by the finger, so I use the cap to pick it up, fill the mug with half way with boiling water, gently set it back down into the water, lift out the cap, fill the reservoir with the precise amount needed and quickly replace the cap and give it a light turn.
3. Then grab the TWIST handle, quickly but gently drop in the heated filter basket, then grab the reservoir by the handle, install it into the handle, and tighten the cap. Then I pull the shot.

If all goes well, I will get a very handsome looking, great tasting shot. And if I am super lucky and the sun, moon, stars are aligned it might just be my new 'best' shot :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

bcx (original poster)

#42: Post by bcx (original poster) »

So far it seems like the best results I get are after utilizing the double pull (which helps to preheat the basket) and going with a lighter dose. I'm dosing 17-18g to yield about 27-28g for the particular beans I'm using (which lean towards less acidic similar to what particularA mentions), and hopefully taking anywhere between 24-30 seconds, but I don't worry about the timing so much.

Also I've learned that it may be a fine line tasting the difference between sour and bitter for some people.

Advertisement
sgmonkey

#43: Post by sgmonkey »

weebit_nutty wrote:
And ever since I made my first god shot .. OMG!!! I've been completely obsessed with making the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1Z69p8tdk
that was a pretty darn long shot...did it taste alright? I would have stopped 1/2 when you got to about 30 seconds

Anyway, looks like good distribution and tamp...no spritzers or channeling :D

weebit_nutty

#44: Post by weebit_nutty replying to sgmonkey »

Yes that's what I thought too but it turn out to be an incredibly yummy shot.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

tamarian

#45: Post by tamarian »

sgmonkey wrote:that was a pretty darn long shot...did it taste alright? I would have stopped 1/2 when you got to about 30 seconds
MyPressi performs well on ristrettos, because there's no heater or heat exchange, so the temperature will not go up if you take long time to pull a shot. Pretty much like a double boiler :D