Eliminated the sink shot - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marshall

#21: Post by Marshall »

nixter wrote:Well sadly a GS3 isn't in my future ....
Channeling wasn't a problem with the E61 Isomac Zaffiro I used for many years, either.
Marshall
Los Angeles

nixter (original poster)

#22: Post by nixter (original poster) replying to Marshall »

Right, as I mentioned earlier it could be an HX only phenomenon.

FinnLight

#23: Post by FinnLight »

I tried this on my HX oscar and it worked. Earlier I had been struggling with the differences between the first and second shot because I was timing it, but now that the ramp-up time is the same for both shots I am getting much better consistency.

cmin

#24: Post by cmin »

nixter wrote:Right, as I mentioned earlier it could be an HX only phenomenon.
Single boiler pump machines too, not just h/x

I do this on my CC1 as well and it works! The 1st shot I always made a milk drink for my fiance anyway vs sinking it... hehe :twisted: . I was always wondering why the 1st shot, usually the 1st drips started later, and would get a different flow then 2nd and every shot there after. And just like on this thread, was my same experience with other machines, that the 1st shot was just like that, whether a Silvia or Duetto 3.

I leave the PF in while warming up, then before the 1st shot I put the blank PF in and start it. I noticed it would go about 7-8 seconds before making that "umpfff" sound which I guess is the point where the pressure triggers the opv or whatever. Using the blank after that, it always makes that sound at exactly 4 seconds. And I remember the samething when using Cafiza to backflush, it would be like 7-8 seconds at first, and then 4 seconds exactly till that "umpfff" sound on each backflush after. Never paid much attention to that sound but I think it's extra air/pressure being released from the 2nd tube into my tank.

Spitz.me

#25: Post by Spitz.me »

what you're witnessing with the shorter time between the start and when the OPV kicks in is that there is less space to fill in the blank after the first time you backflush without removing the portafilter because water remains in the blank. This doesn't mean anything for pulling a shot.
LMWDP #670

cmin

#26: Post by cmin replying to Spitz.me »

Does for me on the CC1 and other machines I've used like a friends Duetto 3. The 1st shot never pulls the same as the 2nd and subsequent shots. I time from 1st drip for example and mines dialed in where it usually starts dripping at about 8 seconds on avg after preinfusion and dwell.... however the 1st shot almost always starts dripping like around 10 seconds or sometimes after.